Men’s soccer to host No. 11 UCF

UConn men’s soccer has a tough matchup ahead against No. 11 UCF, but will need to find a way to win to keep their season alive.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

UConn men’s soccer has a tough matchup ahead against No. 11 UCF, but will need to find a way to win to keep their season alive. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

The UConn men’s soccer team will face a stiff challenge as they look to get back to winning ways against UCF at Dillon Stadium on Sunday at 7 p.m. The Knights are ranked No. 11 in the NCAA Coaches Poll and are tied at the top of the American Conference standings with SMU.  

The Huskies (4-8-1, 1-2, The American) suffered a 1-0 defeat at Syracuse (5-3-4, 1-2-2, AAC) in their last outing. They were largely outplayed by the Orange, who held a 12-3 advantage in shots and 10-1 edge in corner kicks. Syracuse’s Sondre Norheim scored the winner in the 55th minute, heading home a ball played in from a corner kick. The loss marked UConn’s third in their last four games.  

Sunday’s opponent, UCF, is one of the hottest teams in the country and boasts a 8-1-2 record. The Knights’ only loss of the season came against then-No. 4 Wake Forest on Aug. 30. They hold a 2-0-1 record in American Conference play, including a 3-2 home overtime win over Tulsa in their last game and a 3-3 tie at No. 4 SMU on Oct. 6.  

UCF has one of the most dangerous offenses in the nation. They’ve notched 27 goals this season and are led primarily by senior forward Cal Jennings (10 goals, two assists) and junior midfielders Louis Perez (four goals, eight assists) and Yoni Sorokin (four goals, five assists). Nine different UCF players have notched goals this season. 

UConn will rely on the center back duo of juniors Robin Lapert and Jake Dengler to slow the Knights attack. The Huskies offense sputtered in their last outing, and they will look to find holes early against a beatable UCF defense that has allowed 15 goals this season.  

Thumbnail photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.