Homecoming is right around the corner 

The Homecoming Lip Sync is back this year! Greek organizations, cultural centers, and clubs come together as they dance, act, and lip sync to tunes we know around Big City Storrs.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

The Homecoming Lip Sync is back this year! Greek organizations, cultural centers, and clubs come together as they dance, act, and lip sync to tunes we know around Big City Storrs. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

Plenty of organizations are busy planning for the eventful week of Homecoming. This year, Homecoming will be taking place from Oct. 13 to Oct. 19 with its traditional parade, carnival, pageant, lip sync contest, fall concert and football game.  

According to the Homecoming website, banners representing each team and their respective theme will be on display from Oct. 7 to Oct. 18 in the north and south lobbies of the Student Union. 

The Homecoming Parade will take place on Sunday, Oct. 13. This year, teams will be representing their organizations by decorating golf carts according to their respective theme and driving them. According to SUBOG Major Weekends Chairwoman Kimoya Wallace, teams will build their floats the morning of the parade with the event beginning at 12 p.m. on Glenbrook Road, running through Hillside Road and ending on Gilbert Road, where the Carnival will begin at 1 p.m. on the South campus lawn. 

The Royalty Pageant will take place on Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Theatre. During the pageant, five king and queen candidates compete in various categories to be crowned Homecoming King and Queen. According to Wallace, the categories include costume, talent, formal attire and a question regarding a campus community issue. 

The Lip Sync Contest will take place in Gampel Pavilion on Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. Teams will compete against each other in the contest through performances which will be judged based upon their originality, representation of theme, dance routine, professionalism and their lip syncing abilities. 

Last annual Homecoming Royalty Pageant & Alma Mater Sing brought together diverse groups of the UConn student body, from Greek Life to the Cultural Centers. Contestants sang, danced, and answered tough questions to earn the title of Homecoming King & Queen.   Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

Last annual Homecoming Royalty Pageant & Alma Mater Sing brought together diverse groups of the UConn student body, from Greek Life to the Cultural Centers. Contestants sang, danced, and answered tough questions to earn the title of Homecoming King & Queen. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

Kylie Schechtman, a seventh-semester elementary education major, said that she wanted to get involved when she came to UConn. When she heard about Lip Sync, she knew she wanted to participate as a dancer with her sorority. 

“The experience of being able to meet so many new friends, do something I love and take part in something as a whole UConn community was truly amazing,” Schechtman said. “From my freshman year, I have gone on to choreograph my team’s Lip Sync performances multiple years and am now helping organize all of the homecoming events for my specific team.” 

Towards the end of the week, Fan Fest Friday, formerly known as the Homecoming Tailgate, will take place on Fairfield Way at 12 p.m. Free food, lawn games, a tie-dying station and more will be offered. Later that same night, First Night x Fall Concert will take place in Gampel Pavilion at 5:30 p.m. To complete the week, the Homecoming football game will happen on Saturday at Pratt & Whitney Stadium. 

“Homecoming is a time where [the] whole UConn community is able to come together to showcase our love and excitement for UConn,” Schechtman said. “It is a great way to see the wide range of organizations on campus and see how dedicated students are to [represent] their communities.” 

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.