Men’s soccer looks to end losing streak against PC

UConn men’s soccer team against Memphis.  Photo by Eric Yang

UConn men’s soccer team against Memphis. Photo by Eric Yang

The UConn men’s soccer team will look to get their first win since Sept. 17 as they host Providence College on Tuesday at 1 p.m. at Dillon Stadium in Hartford.  

The Huskies (3-6-1) have gone winless their last four games, including a 1-0 overtime loss at home against Memphis in their last outing on Friday. UConn was able to hold off the red-hot Tigers (7-2) for 94 minutes in a tough defensive battle, but Gianluca Catalana scored the golden goal in the first overtime period to earn a victory for the road team.  

Providence College dropped two straight games and will be playing only Big East opponents after they meet the Huskies. The Friars have at least five players who have recorded two or more goals and redshirt senior midfielder Joao Serrano leads the squad in points with nine (three goals, three assists).  

Providence has been stingy defensively, allowing just nine goals this season. They share two common opponents with UConn this season, URI and Georgetown. The Huskies topped URI 3-1 in Kingston in their second game of the season, while the Friars fell at the Rams 2-1 on Sept. 9. Each side suffered a defeat at the Hoyas.  

UConn will be without leading goal scorer Jordan Hall (nine of team’s 14 goals) after the senior forward went down with a season-ending leg injury at Dartmouth on Oct. 1. The Huskies will need other players to step up in the attacking third in his absence.  

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.