Men’s Track & Field: Several Huskies finish on top as UConn reclaims the New England Championship Title

The weekend was highlighted by nine first place finishes as well as a myriad of season highs for the Huskies. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s track & field team had a very successful weekend at the New England Championships, finishing first overall out of 28 teams. The Huskies took the title over second place Northeastern by a whopping 79 points, as competitors in both the track and field events were at their best.

The weekend was highlighted by nine first place finishes as well as a myriad of season highs for the Huskies.

UConn began by asserting its dominance in the field events. Senior Malik Snead continued his early success in this year’s event, winning the triple jump with a season-high leap of 15.78 meters. This jump tied the New England meet record held by former Husky Daniel Hutcherson, who put up the same distance in 2008. Junior Ivan Nyemeck also earned the Huskies points, finishing fourth in the triple jump after a season-high 14.61-meter jump.

Sophomore Daniel Claxton finished first in the high jump, matching his career-best after clearing the bar at 2.16 meters. Senior Ian Bergere won his first New England title in the pole vault, clearing 4.90 meters. Sophomore Todd Stueber also contributed to the Huskies success, earning a fourth-place finish in the shot put with a toss of 16.77 meters, falling just short of his season-best.

It was more of the same for UConn when it came to the track events.

In the 400 meters, Freshman Noah Woodman led the pack with a time of 48.15 secondswhile senior teammate Kyle Trocki (48.45) finished in third. Sophomore Tyler Gleen won his 500-meter race, crossing the finish line at 1:03.86, while Wellington Ventura (1:04.07), Colt Nichols (1:04.34), and Omar Gebril (1:05.22) finished third, sixth, and eighth respectively, all earning the Huskies points.

Sophomore Brain Camillieri won the 800 meters, leading the field with a time of 1:52.75, and senior PJ Garmon earned first place in the 1000 meters, winning the race in 2:26.57.

The track events wrapped up with senior Kyle Barber placing second in the mile with a season best time of 4:08.52, while classmate Michael McGonnigle took home the 3000-meter crown, clocking in at 8:24.23.

The meet ended with sophomore Benjamin Grosse taking home another heptathlon crown after tallying a career-best 4,952 points. He did this in no small part due to his first-place finishes in the high jump, long jump, his second-place finish in the 1000 meter, and third-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles.

UConn will look to carry this momentum into next week’s meet, where they are headed back to Boston for the David Hemry Valentine Invitational.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.