Another One Bites The Dust: “Modern Family” announces final season

There are some staple American TV shows that run for so long, no one can imagine them ending. Yet the new year will bring the end of three popular TV series, including “The Big Bang Theory,” “Fuller House” and, most recently, “Modern Family.” ABC’s announcement regarding the show’s 11th and final season came earlier this week on Tuesday, inciting a flurry of social media posts from the cast members and dedicated fans.

“Modern Family,” which airs at 9 p.m. Wednesdays on ABC, debuted on the Family Channel in 2009. It centers around the titular blended family, along with fresh humor and the portrayal of a same-sex couple that proved groundbreaking. Many actors and actresses got their start on the show, such as Sarah Hyland and Ariel Winter, who play sisters Haley and Alex Dunphy.

“I can’t believe I’ve spent over a decade of my life working with a cast and crew I love so much,” Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who plays Mitchell Pritchett on the show, said on social media in response to the news. “I’m already preparing myself for a VERY emotional last year with my beautiful, hilarious fake family...Will be hard to say goodbye. Love my family.”

The family series garnered a myriad of accolades during its decade-long run, including 21 Primetime Emmy Awards (including five for outstanding comedy series), multiple SAG awards and a Peabody, according to CNN. Many of the actors, such as Sofia Vergara, Julie Bowen, Ed O’Neill, Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet, were themselves nominated and won multiple awards for their performances on “Modern Family.”

“‘Modern Family’ was picked up for an 11th and final season,” Nolan Gould, who plays Luke Dunphy, said on Instagram. “So happy that I get to spend one more year with this cast and crew. And grateful for the run we’ve had. What a journey it’s been. Thanks for taking it with us.”

The show came to a natural end - not canceled by the network, as many shows unfortunately are - as the writers decided it was time to wrap up the character’s storylines and end the series in a place they were happy with. The end of “Modern Family” follows on the heels of other household sitcoms announcing their final seasons: CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory” and Netflix’s sequel to “Full House,” “Fuller House.”

“The Big Bang Theory” has a comparable run to “Modern Family,” as it debuted its 12th and final season in September. CBS tried to negotiate for actor Jim Parsons to stay on and play his main character, Sheldon Cooper, for another two years. However, the star decided it was time to move on, and thus, the series will end as the longest-running multi-camera series in TV history.

The beloved ‘90s show, “Full House,” ran for eight seasons on ABC, and was revived on Netflix with a sequel that takes place many years later. Most of the original cast returned, including Candace Cameron Bure, who plays DJ Tanner. The fifth season was announced as the final one for the Tanner family, and although the revival did not necessarily prove as critically acclaimed as the original, the nostalgia is one that many fans and the cast will miss.

“We love our fans! Thank you so much for your support over the years,” Bure posted on Instagram. “...so sad to say farewell. We would love to do this show forever and ever but I guess it wasn’t in the cards. I am happy that we can give the fans a proper ending, however I wish we didn’t have to give one at all.”

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.