Gucci Mane’s “Woptober II” reminds the rap game who the king of opulence is 

Throw on any Gucci Mane song and you’re not in your dorm anymore, you’re in a decked out mansion. You’re not rocking your head on the red line to class, you’re in your customized Rolls Royce. Your hangover sweatshirt transforms into a fur coat.  

I’m all for music with iNnEr MeAnInG and all that, but sometimes you just need to feel like you own the world, and Gucci Mane is and always has been the king of opulence. His new project, “Woptober II” is a fresh reminder to the rest of the rap game to pay their respects to the one man who brought all the glitz and glamour to the table: It’s Gucci.  

“Woptober II” gets going off the bat with “Richer Than Errybody.” He’s not, but he doesn’t care. Jeff Bezos could buy Gucci Mane, but he wouldn’t be able to ride the opening track’s maximalist trap beat, and that’s something money can’t buy. The track contains two strong features from DaBaby and YoungBoy Never Broke Again, two of rap’s hottest stars, both of whom’s allure is clearly inspired by East Atlanta Santa himself, Gucci. The second cut on the album, “Big Booty,” is a bite-size banger complete with a fire verse from Megan Thee Stallion, another up-and-comer in the rap game and in my opinion the best female MC to do it right now (sorry Cardi). Keep your ears out for it to start entering DJ rotations at your next party. 

I could pump out paragraphs for almost every song on here, but what elevates “Woptober II” from another solid trap project to one of the better rap albums of the year is the aura of wealth surrounding every element of the album. Even the album cover, which features Gucci smiling, chatting on a lime green landline, getting a massage and ostensibly drinking water served to him by a tuxedoed butler. There’s also an expensive handbag stage left. If you don’t know about Gucci, you could look at that and go “come on, that’s a bit much,” but after listening to this album, it’s more like “I can’t believe the phone isn’t gold plated.”  

If I had to nitpick, “Woptober II” lacks cohesiveness. I understand that in the streaming era, albums that flow from top to bottom are in short supply, but this album could’ve been even better if Gucci listed the tracks in a way that gels. I could throw this album on shuffle and not know the difference, and honestly that’s fine. This album has complete self-awareness, and it shows. You don’t put on this album to “listen to an album,” you put on this album to daydream about feeding caviar to your pet lynx. 

“Woptober II” is a celebration of the obscene and lavish, and no one throws bands like Gucci. It’s a fantastic return to form for the Atlanta artist who has found some trouble maintaining consistency over the years. But Gucci’s back, and the rap game’s on notice.  

Billionaires shouldn’t exist, but Gucci Mane makes me wish I was one.  

Rating: 4/5

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @laflare1017 Instagram.

Daniel Cohn is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.cohn@uconn.edu.