‘The Chef Show:’ Your new guide to becoming an amazing chef  

Growing up with a mother who went to the Culinary Institute of America and an Italian father, food has always been a massive part of my life. When I discovered “The Chef Show” on Netflix, I knew it would be right up my ally. Actor Jon Fraveau and chef Roy Choi explore various different foods with fellow celebrities and famous culinary faces.  

What I love about television shows that revolve around cooking is the combination of entertainment and information. I’m sure we can all agree that college students and cooking five star meals don’t mesh. I watch cooking shows not only to salivate over the delicious food, but also to learn a thing or two. Favreau and Choi are able to stand in the kitchen with experts and watch them do their thing and, because it’s on TV, we can too! I’ve mentally stored all the tips and tricks that are explained to Favreau and Choi for the next time I want to cook a yummy meal.  

What sets the “The Chef Show” apart from a regular cooking show is its dynamic. Favreau, Choi and the respective chef/celebrity have a conversation amongst themselves rather than with the camera. Instead of listening to someone read off a list of instructions like you typically would, the instructions are woven throughout the conversation. This makes watching a million times more entertaining and allows you to feel like you’re part of the conversation.  

Favreau and Choi’s contrasting personalities bounce off of each other to create a humorous and balanced relationship. Choi, an American-Korean graduate from the CIA, brings his own flavor to the show. Being the chef out of the two, he is the one who typically explains the cooking while Fraveau tries his best to follow along. Despite being from completely different backgrounds, the audience is able to pick up on the respect and admiration they both have for one another and for food.  

The second volume of the first season was just recently released and it’s food galore. I watched the “Seth Rogen” episode, which strangely felt like a comedy show and a cooking show at the same time. Choi attempts to teach Rogen and Favreau how to make his signature spicy braised chicken. I especially loved the addition of Rogen because of the lightheartedness he brought to the kitchen. When watching Choi clean a pepper, he asked, “Is there a name for that gross white shit inside of the pepper?” (a.k.a. the seeds). He then tells them about a time where pepper juice and vodka exploded in his eyes while at a party in high school. I mean, what’s better than simultaneously watching a cooking show and laughing until your stomach hurts?  

I have zero complaints when it comes to “The Chef Show.” The food looks so delicious it makes your mouth salivate and the hosts are so wonderful it leaves you wanting more. It’s the perfect way to get in some culinary practice in a fun and modern way.  

Rating - 5 out of 5 stars  

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.