Mansfield businesses no longer offer plastic bags to customers 

Plastic bags are absent from check-out stations in Storrs Center following a town ordinance that went into effect Thursday.  Photo by Pascale Joachim/The Daily Campus

Plastic bags are absent from check-out stations in Storrs Center following a town ordinance that went into effect Thursday. Photo by Pascale Joachim/The Daily Campus

As of Thursday, Mansfield businesses no longer offer plastic bags after a town ordinance banning them went into effect. 

The Mansfield Town Council’s “Bring Your Own Bag” ordinance began March 13. Its six-month phase-in process concluded Thursday, when the ban began. 

According to the ordinance, the plastic bag banned is defined as, “a bag provided by a business to a customer, typically at the point of sale, for the purpose of transporting purchases.” 

During the ordinance’s six-month phase out, Connecticut passed Public Act 19-117. This state law, requiring retail establishments to charge customers 10 cents for every plastic checkout bag, went into effect Aug. 1, 2019, according to the official release by the town of Mansfield.  

In the town of Mansfield, bags are not even available to buy.  

“Plastic bags are convenient and cheap. However, the environmental expense of plastic bags far exceeds the cost retailers are currently paying to provide them. There is no need for this,”  Mansfield’s website reads. “Simple alternatives, such as reusable shopping bags, are available and already used in many stores throughout the area.” 

However, University of Connecticut bookstore employee and third-semester pathobiology major Mohsin Mirza said the removal of plastic bags has not negatively impacted the bookstore’s sales. 

“Students are ready and willing to comply with the new rule,” Mirza said. “We are facing serious environmental concerns and most students are aware of it.” 

According to the town, the best alternative is to bring your own reusable bags from home while you shop around town.  

For more information on the plastic bag ban, visit the town's website

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.