Stomach ban makes Rec Center look foolish

The Rec Center crop top ban started gaining awareness on Facebook last week, and since then, students haven’t shied away from voicing their opinions on it.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus

The Rec Center crop top ban started gaining awareness on Facebook last week, and since then, students haven’t shied away from voicing their opinions on it. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus

What were they thinking? What was the plan? First, you charge us $500 a year for a recreational facility we didn’t ask for. Then, to add insult to injury, you ban midriffs from that gym? 

Out of all the things UConn could be doing, they’re regulating skin? They’re deciding who gets to use the gym (that everyone pays for) based on the length of their shirt? They’re taking us back to high school dress codes and spaghetti straps and the “hands by your side” skirt rule? 

Who the heck made this decision?

Taylor Nute took to UConn Buy or Sell last week after being dress-coded for wearing a crop top at the Rec Center.  Photo courtesy of UConn Buy or Sell.

Taylor Nute took to UConn Buy or Sell last week after being dress-coded for wearing a crop top at the Rec Center. Photo courtesy of UConn Buy or Sell.

I am, of course, referring to the new Rec Center’s bizarrely out-of-touch decision to ban crop-tops. The issue popped up last week, when UConn students (specifically, female UConn students) started reporting they had been kicked out of the Rec Center for wearing crop-tops. Righteous furor quickly rose in the Buy or Sell UConn Tickets Facebook page, and a petition gained steam within minutes.

Clearly, grown women at UConn do not enjoy being treated like they are in ninth grade homeroom.

A little bit of tummy isn’t hurting anyone. The gym could function just fine without this rule. There would be no gasps at the shocking impropriety of revealed belly buttons. People would just, you know, work out, because they are at a gym, minding their own business.  

Why anyone thought regulating stomachs was a good idea, or a productive use of time, is beyond us. It’s bizarre, from a public relations standpoint. It probably makes student workers at the gym incredibly uncomfortable that they have to enforce such a backwards rule. And it singles out women, who are often wearing crop tops to stay cool at the gym. 

Frankly, it doesn’t really matter why anyone is wearing a crop top. It’s their own damn business. No one should be subject to the embarrassment of being removed from a gym for displaying their stomach.  

Please get rid of this inane rule.