HomeLifeDeadpool 2 steals the box office- and my heart

Deadpool 2 steals the box office- and my heart

Ryan Reynolds has done it again. The much anticipated, much promoted (including on a Korean talent show, no less) and now box office-breaking R-rated superhero sequel Deadpool 2 has won the hearts of America, as well as their wallets. Well done, Wade. Well freaking done.

This movie is what all sequels should be: an action-packed continuation that expands on everything you loved about the first movie without endlessly regurgitating its jokes while bringing in new material, characters and gags that you just can’t help but love.

The basic premise (if you live under a rock and haven’t seen it, or at least caught a trailer) puts Wade Wilson/Deadpool in the unwitting position as a caretaker and protector of a troubled young mutant with fire powers named Russell Collins, whose dark future draws the attention of time-traveling cop/vigilante Cable.

First of all, the action is absolutely bomb. Production value doubled from the last movie, and man, it shows. I won’t reveal any spoilers, but all I’ll say is there are epic fights, epic carnage and some excellent combat choreography. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole ride, and this was after I saw Infinity War.

Speaking of which: Josh Brolin, who plays Cable, was fantastic. Even though I had seen him mere weeks ago playing a murderous, giant, purple zealot, he portrays the right amount of grittiness, gruffness and toughness to fit the role.

My second favorite: Zazie Beetz as the luck-powered mercenary Domino. The way that her (somewhat vague) power is played fits right into Deadpool’s absurdity. Her quirky personality and upbeat attitude (why wouldn’t she be? Everything works out for her) are a real treat.

Young New Zealand actor Julian Dennison, who plays Russell, is a good mix of profane sass and try-hard heroism. While he tries to come across as a badass, what he really portrays is a lonely young kid in need of some love, caring and lessons in not being a dork. We all know that kid; I was one.

While the previous movie’s cast, including T.J. Miller as Weasel, Brianna Hildebrand as Negasonic Teenage Warhead and (my personal favorite) Leslie Uggams as Blind Al make appearances, their screen time is kept to a minimum. While I love these characters, pushing them out of the spotlight has allowed for new stars, like Dennison, Beetz and Brolin to shine through, and it makes the flick feel refreshed, instead of a rehash.

Reynolds, as always, is a delight. He’s sassy, he’s fresh, he’s a lovely little package of scars, anger and zany quips. What else can I say? There’s no one else who can really play Deadpool, much like there’s nobody who can play Iron Man like Robert Downey Jr.

The final, excellent icing on this film is the soundtrack. My god, the soundtrack. It’s a mishmash of Dolly Parton, Skrillex, Broadway musicals and more (it’s also the only movie soundtrack with a parental advisory, with good reason). Every song fits the scene, be it action-packed, humorous or (surprisingly) emotional.

All in all, if you see Deadpool 2, you’re in for a great time. It’s everything you’d expect from the Merc With a Mouth.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.