Sunday, November 29, 2020

Don't Miss

UConn students reevaluate holiday plans in wake of modified quarantine

Many University of Connecticut students said they needed to change their Thanksgiving travel plans when the school announced that a modified quarantine would be implemented for all residential students on Friday, Nov. 13. UConn’s decision, which came in response to a rise in campus COVID-19 cases, has caused a stir among on-campus residents, who say they are now scrambling to go home.

USG

USG talks budget, confirms senator positions and talks mental health legislation

On Wednesday, the Undergraduate Student Government at the University of Connecticut held their bi-weekly senate meeting where they discussed the university’s budget, confirmed senator positions and approved legislation for the spring 2021 fee plan, Mental Care Act and international student wellness.

Meet The Speaker: Luis Toscano

A conversation between Mike Mavredakis and Luis Toscano, the new speaker of the senate for USG.

USG speaker of the senate resigns; replacement coming

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government’s Speaker of the Senate resigned Oct. 8. Jessica Delgado, former speaker of the senate and fifth-semester nursing major, said she decided to step down from her position to have more time to focus on personal matters.

Michael Hernández and Guilmar Valle named USG president and vice president, election includes multiple campaign complaints

After a University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government special election, Michael Hernández and Guilmar Valle have been named the next USG president and vice president. Hernández and Valle earned a total of 340 votes, while opponents Jase Valle and Guymara Manigat earned 290 votes.

Campus Politics

USG honors students who fixed Spirit Rock

On Wednesday, the Undergraduate Student Government at the University of Connecticut held their bi-weekly senate meeting, discussing pass/fail legislation for the 2020-21 academic year, a new proposal for the spring 2021 academic calendar and honoring the two students who fixed the defaced Spirit Rock.

Outsider vandalized UConn’s Spirit Rock

The University of Connecticut’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion discovered the person behind the vandalization of the campus’ Spirit Rock is not part of the UConn community.

UConn students outraged after Spirit Rock “Black Lives Matter” message defaced

Students at the University of Connecticut are expressing their shock and disappointment over the vandalization of the campus Spirit Rock near North Garage, which was painted a month ago with the words “Black Lives Matter” and was then altered to read “All Lives Matter.”

UConn will add Black Lives Matter patches to basketball uniforms

The University of Connecticut recently committed to the addition of Black Lives Matter (BLM) patches on their women’s and men’s basketball uniforms for the 2020-21 season.

Housing

Provost’s Office prepares for an uncertain spring semester for students, faculty

The University of Connecticut Provost’s Office announced their plans for reopening the university in the spring 2021 semester last Friday, including an outline of the upcoming academic year, dates for course registration, quarantine periods and living arrangements for students on campus.

ResLife updates Spring housing to allow for guests in common rooms

The University of Connecticut’s Department of Residential Life has changed the spring semester temporary health and safety procedures to allow students to congregate with on-campus guests in common areas.

UConn to keep residential capacity at 50% next semester

The University of Connecticut’s Department of Residential Life sent out an email last Friday to notify students that residential capacity on campus will continue to be limited to half capacity for the spring 2021 semester, giving priority housing selection to those already on campus. Students who have in-person classes, newly-admitted students and athletes participating in athletic competition are among those listed in the email who will also be prioritized in the housing selection process.

Office for Diversity and Inclusion reflects on Social Identity Awareness Activity

Jonelle Reynolds, director of Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, discussed the Social Identity Awareness Activity held last week and the purpose it will serve for the University of Connecticut in the future.

BUDGET

UConn students call to refund the CT Commitment initiative

A petition to refund the Connecticut Commitment initiative at the University of Connecticut has already reached 863 signatures as of Thursday, according to the petition currently on Change.org.

University to Pause Connecticut Commitment Student Aid Program

On Wednesday, University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas announced that the university would pause its Connecticut Commitment student financial aid program for the foreseeable future due to budget deficits.

UConn faces largest projected budget deficit in history

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas told faculty and staff in an email that the university has faced $30 million in losses this past spring semester, and best-case scenario will face an additional $47 million in loss this upcoming fall.

Undergraduate Student Government reduces Tier-II funding

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government passed a preliminary budget for the 2020-2021 school year with reduced funding for Tier-II organizations in a senate meeting on Wednesday.

UConn athletic budget projected to take a hit from COVID-19

The University of Connecticut athletic department is facing a significant loss in revenue from lost ticket revenue, donations and the cancellation of the NCAA’s March Madness tournaments.

CONNECTICUT

New Executive Order allows mask exemption for medical conditions

In Connecticut, any person in a public place must have a medical condition, be under the age of two and/or be a child in a child care setting in order to not wear a mask or face covering, according to the state’s latest executive order No. 7NNN.

Editor's Pick

UConn Professor seeking bone marrow treatment for sons

A University of Connecticut professor is currently searching for bone marrow transplant donors for her two sons, who both have a rare immunodeficiency disease. The family is hoping that by partnering with Be The Match, a foundation that matches patients with donors, her sons will be able to receive a potentially life-saving cure.

‘Your parties are not worth it,’ students reflect on being sick with coronavirus

Several students at the University of Connecticut are telling their stories about living with COVID-19, the novel respiratory disease responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of people worldwide and sickening many more.

Florida middle school uses Husky logo as mascot without UConn’s permission

Without the permission from the University of Connecticut, Westglades Middle School in Parkland, Florida changed its logo to “Wolfie” — a Husky identical to that of the UConn mascot.

Daddy Finally Came: Storrs Center Daddy’s Noodles Bar finally opens

After over two years of a “coming soon” poster in its window, Daddy’s Noodle Bar in Storrs Center finally opened for business Friday.

Mansfield

Mansfield Fire Department study says town could have only two fire stations

Preliminary findings of a study of the Mansfield Fire Department, conducted at the request of the Mansfield town council, has recommended that the town downsize from three to two fire stations.

Mansfield hires new town manager

Ryan Aylesworth has been selected by the Mansfield Town Council in a 6-2 vote to be the next town manager, beginning on December 1, 2020.

Mansfield authorities crack down on off-campus gatherings

The University of Connecticut alongside the resident state troopers office are cracking down on off-campus party goers and handing out stern reminders to students who ignore proper COVID-19 safety measures.

Mansfield residents show support with care packages to the Oaks

Mansfield residents are delivering care packages for University of Connecticut students quarantined in the Oaks apartments on Tuesday.

DINING

Dining Services discusses their support of local farms

Tracey Roy, associate director of procurement in the Department of Dining Services, discussed why the University of Connecticut’s Dining Services finds it important to support local farms and companies.

UConn adjusts operation of dining facilities to better fit student usage

The University of Connecticut has temporarily closed the Chem Cafe, Wilbur Cross Cafes and The Bistro. They’ve also adjusted the hours for One Plate, Two Plate and Earth, Wok & Fire and opened Gelfenbien grab & go.