Thursday, March 4, 2021

Don't Miss

Residential Assistants upset over updated employment end date and potential reduced stipend

The University of Connecticut Residential Life informed its residential assistants and senior resident assistants on Feb. 22 of an updated employment end date that would lead to a stipend reduction for those who choose to leave early. ResLife emailed the residential assistants and senior residential assistants to say their employment end date per their contract ends Monday, May 10. However, for RAs or SRAs who want to change their employment end date to Monday, April 12 – the start of spring break – they may do so at the expense of having their semesterly stipend reduced.

USG

USG Governing Board votes no confidence for student body president

On Sunday night, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Governing Board issued a vote of no confidence for senior President Mike Hernández amid growing controversy over the president’s support of a proposed free speech bill and his comments to students in recent weeks.

USG senate pushes for academic forgiveness

On Wednesday night, the University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government Senate unanimously voted (with one abstention) on a policy which would offer academic forgiveness for students who change their majors.

Undergraduate Student Government are taking submissions for focus groups

The Undergraduate Student Government at the University of Connecticut are in the midst of forming their first focus group centered on mental health.

USG Permanent Reading Days Petition Advocates for Student Mental Health

USG has a live Change.org petition in its Instagram bio for UConn students to show their support towards the permanent reading days. This is the first proposed step in response to B Diaz’s Mental Care Act that passed through USG in fall 2020, according to the Change.org petition homepage. These reading days would act as a period for students to recharge and catch up with their studies.

Campus Politics

Racial Microaggressions Study finds flaws in the racial climate at UConn

Researchers studying racial microaggressions at the University of Connecticut report that 43% of students who completed a survey feel they need to minimize aspects of their racial and ethnic background to fit in at UConn.

Spirit Rock ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural vandalized

The University of Connecticut Police Department arrested two individuals last week after they admitted to vandalizing and partially spray painting over the “Black Lives Matter” Spirit Rock mural on Hillside Road of the university’s main campus in Storrs, according to a press release.

USG honors students who fixed Spirit Rock

On Wednesday, the Undergraduate Student Government at the University of Connecticut held their bi-weekly senate meeting, discussing pass/fail legislation for the 2020-21 academic year, a new proposal for the spring 2021 academic calendar and honoring the two students who fixed the defaced Spirit Rock.

Outsider vandalized UConn’s Spirit Rock

The University of Connecticut’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion discovered the person behind the vandalization of the campus’ Spirit Rock is not part of the UConn community.

Housing

UConn ResLife delays Fall 2021 housing selection process

Earlier this month, Residential Life at the University of Connecticut sent out an email to students eligible for fall semester housing, notifying them about the delay in the housing selection process until after spring break. The email also reminded students that the deadline to apply for fall housing has been extended to Feb. 28.

Executive Director of Residential Life discusses changes to spring semester residential quarantine

The Executive Director of Residential Life, reflected upon the success of the spring semester residential quarantine, which ran from Jan. 15 to Jan. 31.

Provost’s Office prepares for an uncertain spring semester for students, faculty

The University of Connecticut Provost’s Office announced their plans for reopening the university in the spring 2021 semester last Friday, including an outline of the upcoming academic year, dates for course registration, quarantine periods and living arrangements for students on campus.

BUDGET

USG Senate passes UNITED Act, budget amendments, & Middle Eastern Cultural Center

Last night the University of Connecticut Student Government Senate discussed the implementation of the Undergraduates in Tandem Elevating Diversity (UNITED) Act, amendments to the USG budget and the establishment of a Middle Eastern Cultural Center at the Storrs campus.

UConn students call to refund the CT Commitment initiative

A petition to refund the Connecticut Commitment initiative at the University of Connecticut has already reached 863 signatures as of Thursday, according to the petition currently on Change.org.

University to Pause Connecticut Commitment Student Aid Program

On Wednesday, University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas announced that the university would pause its Connecticut Commitment student financial aid program for the foreseeable future due to budget deficits.

USG talks budget, confirms senator positions and talks mental health legislation

On Wednesday, the Undergraduate Student Government at the University of Connecticut held their bi-weekly senate meeting where they discussed the university’s budget, confirmed senator positions and approved legislation for the spring 2021 fee plan, Mental Care Act and international student wellness.

UConn faces largest projected budget deficit in history

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas told faculty and staff in an email that the university has faced $30 million in losses this past spring semester, and best-case scenario will face an additional $47 million in loss this upcoming fall.

Undergraduate Student Government reduces Tier-II funding

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government passed a preliminary budget for the 2020-2021 school year with reduced funding for Tier-II organizations in a senate meeting on Wednesday.

CONNECTICUT

New Executive Order allows mask exemption for medical conditions

In Connecticut, any person in a public place must have a medical condition, be under the age of two and/or be a child in a child care setting in order to not wear a mask or face covering, according to the state’s latest executive order No. 7NNN.

Editor's Pick

UConn Professor seeking bone marrow treatment for sons

A University of Connecticut professor is currently searching for bone marrow transplant donors for her two sons, who both have a rare immunodeficiency disease. The family is hoping that by partnering with Be The Match, a foundation that matches patients with donors, her sons will be able to receive a potentially life-saving cure.

UConn mourns loss of 2020 graduate Chris Rogers (Orkan Olgac)

Loved ones are mourning the loss of Orkan Olgac, also known as Chris Rogers, a 2020 graduate of the University of Connecticut who passed away on Jan. 13 at the age of 21. Olgac graduated from the UConn Honors Program in December with a bachelor’s degree in healthcare management and a minor in analytics.

Former UConn professor accused of sexual misconduct, providing alcohol to minors; OIE confirms

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault Former University of Connecticut Fine Arts Professor Frank Noelker has been accused of sexual misconduct...

‘Your parties are not worth it,’ students reflect on being sick with coronavirus

Several students at the University of Connecticut are telling their stories about living with COVID-19, the novel respiratory disease responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of people worldwide and sickening many more.

Mansfield

Mansfield Fire Department study says town could have only two fire stations

Preliminary findings of a study of the Mansfield Fire Department, conducted at the request of the Mansfield town council, has recommended that the town downsize from three to two fire stations.

Mansfield hires new town manager

Ryan Aylesworth has been selected by the Mansfield Town Council in a 6-2 vote to be the next town manager, beginning on December 1, 2020.

Mansfield authorities crack down on off-campus gatherings

The University of Connecticut alongside the resident state troopers office are cracking down on off-campus party goers and handing out stern reminders to students who ignore proper COVID-19 safety measures.

Mansfield residents show support with care packages to the Oaks

Mansfield residents are delivering care packages for University of Connecticut students quarantined in the Oaks apartments on Tuesday.

DINING

Dining Services discusses their support of local farms

Tracey Roy, associate director of procurement in the Department of Dining Services, discussed why the University of Connecticut’s Dining Services finds it important to support local farms and companies.

UConn adjusts operation of dining facilities to better fit student usage

The University of Connecticut has temporarily closed the Chem Cafe, Wilbur Cross Cafes and The Bistro. They’ve also adjusted the hours for One Plate, Two Plate and Earth, Wok & Fire and opened Gelfenbien grab & go.

Daddy Finally Came: Storrs Center Daddy’s Noodles Bar finally opens

After over two years of a “coming soon” poster in its window, Daddy’s Noodle Bar in Storrs Center finally opened for business Friday.