Hartford
Friday, September 18, 2020

Don't Miss

UConn will add Black Lives Matter patches to basketball uniforms

The University of Connecticut recently committed to the addition of Black Lives Matter (BLM) patches on their women’s and men’s basketball uniforms for the 2020-21 season.

USG

USG changes policies to address org’s ‘elitist’ culture, creates CDO position

The University of Connecticut’s Undergraduate Student Government announced Thursday night at a virtual town hall that they are establishing a bundle of new changes meant to address a past “elitist” and “racist” culture within the organization.

USG to hold special election

This fall, the University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government will hold a special election following the resignations of the former president and vice president this summer.

USG president resigns, days after VP resignation

Just two days after University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government Vice President Alex Ose resigned, President Joshua Crow has followed suit.

USG Vice President resigns

University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government Vice President Alex Ose has resigned, citing the need for more diverse voices to be in leadership positions.

Campus Politics

In Case You Missed It: Week of September 13

Hurricane Sally made landfall as a category two hurricane near Pensacola, Florida on Wednesday morning. By Wednesday evening, the storm had weakened to a tropical depression, but left more than half a million people in the area without power.

UConn creates new anti-Black racism course

The University of Connecticut’s brand-new, one-credit course on anti-Black racism is slated to begin virtual lectures on Sept. 14, just two months after the idea was proposed by two students at the African-American Cultural Center’s (AACC) town hall in July.

Students rally to defund UCPD and reinvest in SHaW-MH

Students and allies gathered at Hartford’s capitol building on Saturday, demanding that the University of Connecticut defund the UConn police department and reallocate the funds it receives.

Housing

Garrigus placed in medical quarantine following case cluster

All 270 students living in Garrigus Suites at the University of Connecticut are being placed under a medical quarantine effective immediately following a disproportionate rise in COVID-19 cases compared to other residence halls, according to an email sent to students on Thursday afternoon.

Sorority and fraternity students denied Greek housing

Greek life students at the University of Connecticut received email notification Wednesday that they will not be able to live in their assigned houses in Husky Village, just days before UConn’s scheduled move-in weekend.

Out-of-state students denied housing, 800 affected 

Out-of-state students at the University of Connecticut enrolled in only online classes were notified via email Tuesday morning that they will not...

University to reallocate student housing, limit density for the fall semester

ResLife at the University of Connecticut is planning on reassigning housing to students and reducing the number of students in dormitories and suites for the fall 2020 semester among other modifications due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to an email and subsequent FAQs sent out to students Thursday morning.

BUDGET

UConn faces largest projected budget deficit in history

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas told faculty and staff in an email that the university has faced $30 million in losses this past spring semester, and best-case scenario will face an additional $47 million in loss this upcoming fall.

Undergraduate Student Government reduces Tier-II funding

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government passed a preliminary budget for the 2020-2021 school year with reduced funding for Tier-II organizations in a senate meeting on Wednesday.

UConn athletic budget projected to take a hit from COVID-19

The University of Connecticut athletic department is facing a significant loss in revenue from lost ticket revenue, donations and the cancellation of the NCAA’s March Madness tournaments.

CONNECTICUT

New Executive Order allows mask exemption for medical conditions

In Connecticut, any person in a public place must have a medical condition, be under the age of two and/or be a child in a child care setting in order to not wear a mask or face covering, according to the state’s latest executive order No. 7NNN.

Editor's Pick

Florida middle school uses Husky logo as mascot without UConn’s permission

Without the permission from the University of Connecticut, Westglades Middle School in Parkland, Florida changed its logo to “Wolfie” — a Husky identical to that of the UConn mascot.

Daddy Finally Came: Storrs Center Daddy’s Noodles Bar finally opens

After over two years of a “coming soon” poster in its window, Daddy’s Noodle Bar in Storrs Center finally opened for business Friday.

Former UConn professor accused of sexual misconduct, providing alcohol to minors; OIE confirms

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault Former University of Connecticut Fine Arts Professor Frank Noelker has been accused of sexual misconduct...

UConn announces upcoming spring classes will be mix of online and in-person

Officials at the University of Connecticut announced in an email to staff members on Tuesday that classes for the upcoming spring semester will continue to be held in a variety of formats, including online, in-person and hybrids.

Mansfield

Mansfield authorities crack down on off-campus gatherings

The University of Connecticut alongside the resident state troopers office are cracking down on off-campus party goers and handing out stern reminders to students who ignore proper COVID-19 safety measures.

Mansfield residents show support with care packages to the Oaks

Mansfield residents are delivering care packages for University of Connecticut students quarantined in the Oaks apartments on Tuesday.

Mansfield offering free COVID-19 testing to residents this week

The Town of Mansfield is hosting free COVID-19 testing at Betsy Paterson Square in Downtown Storrs to residents and commuter students this week.

DINING