Sunday, February 28, 2021

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Grandpa Makes it Personal

My environment is under siege, so I think outrage is an appropriate response.

From My Home to Yours: My Gratitude

Over the course of the past semester, I have emailed students 17 times about COVID. As you take the time to study for finals, I thought I might refrain from inundating inboxes already overwhelmed with academic worries and, instead, utilize our incredible campus paper to say this: thank you.

Letter to the Editor: Fund the CT Commitment! Stop layoffs! No austerity at UConn!

Across the country, the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated university budgets. Starved of housing and dining fees, administrators are turning to austerity cuts to fix their gaping deficits.

Letter to the Editor: Why UConn students should vote this November

As part of the American Political Science Association’s (APSA) Election Assistance Task Force, political scientists all over the country are writing publicly about the core elements of smooth elections and healthy democracy. This is important because people need clear information about how they can vote freely and fairly. It can also be confusing especially because each state has slightly different voting procedures and deadlines.

Letter to the Editor: Achievements of the Interfraternity Council

The UConn Interfraternity Council consists of 13 amazing fraternities who all strive for achievement in different areas of life. We are proud to announce that in the past year, we have achieved remarkable success in all areas of involvement. Below are the following accomplishments.

Op Eds

Op-Ed: The Comptroller is the most impactful position in USG. Here’s why you should run for it.

Per the USG Constitution, “The Comptroller shall oversee all financial matters of the organization and shall ensure that all expenditures of the Undergraduate Student Government are in accordance with Undergraduate Student Government policy and any applicable laws and regulations.”

Op-Ed: UConn: Address the climate crisis

We’re in a pandemic, and while that on its own is concerning and mentally exhausting for anyone, I’m not sure how more people don’t realize that this will not be over even after we get past this pandemic. Why? Because climate change will cause more pandemics and the heightened transmissibility of diseases, along with increasing temperatures and sea levels and a host of other problems. That’s the bad news. The good news? We can take action to address the climate crisis.

Op-Ed: We need more intersectional environmentalism at UConn

Last semester I took four courses on the environment. However, only one focused on intersectional environmentalism — how environmental issues affect you differently based on your identities, such as race, class, gender and sexual orientation.

Op-Ed: A statement about pass/fail in the context of concerns about university senate

I come to you today first and foremost as a concerned student, and second as the Academic Affairs Advocacy Director for the Undergraduate Student Government. From the end of September to the present, my committee has pushed for more lenient Pass/Fail requirements for students. That journey involved two different phases.

Op-Ed: Data performativity and UConn’s COVID-19 dashboard

We write here because we, like so many others, have been ignored at best and dismissed at worst. We assume that UConn’s priority has never been to full transparency of the public health data it was collecting. Rather, their COVID-19 dashboard has been a performance of transparency, one aimed at preserving image and reducing skepticism regarding the safety of reopening. We urge UConn to seriously engage with the concerns in our community and to allow the dashboard to serve as an accurate, informative place for communication about campus health and safety.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR & OP-EDS

HOW TO SUBMIT

To have a letter printed in The Daily Campus, please follow the guidelines listed below:

• Limit your letter to 400 words.
  • Letters must be submitted by 4 p.m. the day prior to when you would like it to run. The Daily Campus cannot guarantee publication if it is submitted past the deadline.
  • Letters must be emailed to eic@dailycampus.com.
  • Include your full name as well as your year and major, year of graduation or position on campus. If you are not affiliated with the University of Connecticut, please include your town of residence.
  • Include a phone number and email address where you can be reached. This is for verification purposes only and will not be printed.