Hartford
Saturday, September 19, 2020

Letters to the Editor

Defund UConn Police; Invest in the community

The 1960s were a tumultuous time on college campuses across the United States. Students staged marches, sit-ins and occupations in the midst of the anti-war, black liberation, feminist and environmental movements. In response, colleges across the country lobbied legislatures to create their own police forces, which would explicitly be used as weapons of social control — not public safety, as they now claim.

What have you done?

Assistant Professor Tanner, I don’t know you. You certainly do not know me. I read your article on Dan Hurley’s statement of George Floyd’s death and your thoughts on the matter.

I do know Dan Hurley

I do know Dan Hurley. He is a man who loves his family and the young men he coaches, his second family.

Open Letter to UConn men’s basketball Coach Dan Hurley

Coach Hurley, I don’t know you. You certainly do not know me, even though we are technically colleagues. (We are both employed in positions of instruction and mentorship at the University of Connecticut).

Op Eds

Op-Ed: Dear UConn community

Most op-eds from members of the Student Government or other major groups on campus begin with the words “I am not writing on behalf of my organization.” Today, that is not true. Instead, I write to you as the President of the Student Body of the University of Connecticut.

Op-Ed: A Call for Change

I understand I do not simply speak for myself when I say that we as a people have experienced the awakening of all awakenings. As a collective we have grown numb. Translation: lack of sensation or feeling. A condition brought by trauma, automatically manifested in defense as the body’s coping mechanism. This time was different.

Op-Ed: A call for the mobilization of the UConn community

The violent, generational looting of black America, inflicted through the institution of chattel slavery, the brutal segregation of Jim Crow and the mass incarceration of poor black communities has boiled over amidst a pandemic that is disproportionately taking black lives.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR & OP-EDS

HOW TO SUBMIT

To have a letter printed in The Daily Campus, please follow the guidelines listed below:

• Limit your letter to 400 words.
  • Letters must be submitted by 4 p.m. the day prior to when you would like it to run. The Daily Campus cannot guarantee publication if it is submitted past the deadline.
  • Letters must be emailed to eic@dailycampus.com.
  • Include your full name as well as your year and major, year of graduation or position on campus. If you are not affiliated with the University of Connecticut, please include your town of residence.
  • Include a phone number and email address where you can be reached. This is for verification purposes only and will not be printed.