Friday, November 27, 2020

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Fund the CT Commitment! Stop layoffs! No austerity at UConn!

Across the country, the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated university budgets. Starved of housing and dining fees, administrators are turning to austerity cuts to fix their gaping deficits.

Letter to the Editor: Why UConn students should vote this November

As part of the American Political Science Association’s (APSA) Election Assistance Task Force, political scientists all over the country are writing publicly about the core elements of smooth elections and healthy democracy. This is important because people need clear information about how they can vote freely and fairly. It can also be confusing especially because each state has slightly different voting procedures and deadlines.

Letter to the Editor: Achievements of the Interfraternity Council

The UConn Interfraternity Council consists of 13 amazing fraternities who all strive for achievement in different areas of life. We are proud to announce that in the past year, we have achieved remarkable success in all areas of involvement. Below are the following accomplishments.

Letter to the Editor: We must promote renewable energy

Wildfires ravage the western coast of the United States, while devastating storms wrack the east.

A letter from the president to the UConn community

As I write to you, we are now three weeks into the Fall semester, a semester that all of us understood would be a challenging and unfamiliar experience in many ways.

Op Eds

Don’t expect Kamala Harris to keep her promises

Maybe you’ve seen them on TikTok or maybe you’ve seen them on Instagram, but the Kamala Harris aesthetic edits need to stop. Let’s not forget that Democrats settled for the Biden-Harris administration for a reason: because anything was better than Donald Trump. Kamala Harris has had an extensive record of being inconsistent and just because she’s the first woman Vice President-elect does not mean that Americans should be turning a blind eye to her questionable past.

Op-Ed: A statement about pass/fail in the context of concerns about university senate

I come to you today first and foremost as a concerned student, and second as the Academic Affairs Advocacy Director for the Undergraduate Student Government. From the end of September to the present, my committee has pushed for more lenient Pass/Fail requirements for students. That journey involved two different phases.

Op-Ed: Data performativity and UConn’s COVID-19 dashboard

We write here because we, like so many others, have been ignored at best and dismissed at worst. We assume that UConn’s priority has never been to full transparency of the public health data it was collecting. Rather, their COVID-19 dashboard has been a performance of transparency, one aimed at preserving image and reducing skepticism regarding the safety of reopening. We urge UConn to seriously engage with the concerns in our community and to allow the dashboard to serve as an accurate, informative place for communication about campus health and safety.

Op-Ed: Dear UConn community

Most op-eds from members of the Student Government or other major groups on campus begin with the words “I am not writing on behalf of my organization.” Today, that is not true. Instead, I write to you as the President of the Student Body of the University of Connecticut.

Op-Ed: A Call for Change

I understand I do not simply speak for myself when I say that we as a people have experienced the awakening of all awakenings. As a collective we have grown numb. Translation: lack of sensation or feeling. A condition brought by trauma, automatically manifested in defense as the body’s coping mechanism. This time was different.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR & OP-EDS

HOW TO SUBMIT

To have a letter printed in The Daily Campus, please follow the guidelines listed below:

• Limit your letter to 400 words.
  • Letters must be submitted by 4 p.m. the day prior to when you would like it to run. The Daily Campus cannot guarantee publication if it is submitted past the deadline.
  • Letters must be emailed to eic@dailycampus.com.
  • Include your full name as well as your year and major, year of graduation or position on campus. If you are not affiliated with the University of Connecticut, please include your town of residence.
  • Include a phone number and email address where you can be reached. This is for verification purposes only and will not be printed.