Sunday, June 26, 2022

OPINION

HOW TO SUBMIT

The Opinion section welcomes submissions from all UConn students. Those interested in writing for Opinion can come to a meeting on Sundays at 5 PM in The Daily Campus building or email opinion@dailycampus.com.

A full list of up-to-date opinion section standards for all articles can be found at this link

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

HOW TO SUBMIT

Letters to the Editor are written by members of the community who are not undergraduate or graduate students. The Daily Campus is student-run and exists primarily to give a platform to the students at UConn. When non-students have an important message they wish to share with the community, we encourage them to write Letters to the Editor.

• To have a letter printed in The Daily Campus, please follow the guidelines listed below:

• Limit your letter to 400 words.
    • Letters must be submitted by 4 p.m. the day prior to when you would like it to run. The Daily Campus cannot guarantee publication if it is submitted past the deadline.
    • Letters must be emailed to opinion@dailycampus.com.
    • Include your full name as well as your year and major, year of graduation or position on campus. If you are not affiliated with the University of Connecticut, please include your town of residence.
    • Include a phone number and email address where you can be reached. This is for verification purposes only and will not be printed.

OP-EDS

HOW TO SUBMIT

Op-eds are a kind of submission reserved for undergraduate and graduate students at UConn writing specifically on behalf of their membership in a particular group or community here. This could be as a student of a particular subject, participant in a club or political organization, or member of an underrepresented group here. Submissions connect personal experiences to advocacy regarding issues at UConn.

• Limit your letter to 400 words.

CULTURE SHOCK

HOW TO SUBMIT

Culture Shock is a column for UConn community members to anonymously discuss race, culture, and ethnicity on campus.

• If you have been a witness to or victim of derogatory comments or incidents, we strongly encourage you to report it to through UConn’s bias incident protocol or to the UConn Police Department.

• Entries can take many forms, such as written columns, artwork or poetry. If you do write something, try to keep it between 400-500 words. Please submit pieces here and email any artwork to opinion@dailycampus.com. Feel free to reach out to opinion@dailycampus.com with any questions.
    • This column is not a call-out space — it is an anonymous forum for UConn students to share their experiences on campus. Any identifying information — such as names or apartment numbers — will be edited out.
    • We will do our best to publish all articles that are submitted within a week, but we do retain the right to send articles back for edits if they do not meet our editorial standards of professionalism and respect.
    • We only ask for your name and email address to confirm that you are a UConn student. Your personal information will not be shared in any way, shape or form

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: As world celebrates Earth Day, Arctic Council ‘pause’ endangers humanity’s united stand against climate change

April 22 is celebrated around the world as Earth Day, a symbolic day of unity on issues relating to the global movement to protect our environment and to slow the pace of climate change.

Letter to Editor: Speak on the core curriculum

The future of the general education curriculum at UConn is being shaped today. Help is needed in getting the word out to UConn’s student body.

Letter to the Editor: Free speech debate

I write in strong disapproval of the recent UConn free speech petition. I believe the passing of this legislation will result in an increase of bias incidents on campus. There is a difference between promoting civil discourse and promoting disparaging commentary. I believe this petition will do the latter.

Letter to the Editor: Call it as it is, “An inquisition is happening at USG”, and it’s much more serious than you think.

USG has recently been criticized for failing to protect the free speech of its members and for failing to protect minorities from bias. At a first glance, this seems confusing. However, USG is one of the most misunderstood organizations and it seems to have adopted failure as its governing doctrine.

The USG Governing Board needs to stop undermining Student Body Presidents. And YOU need to vote.

Over the past year, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) has been led by three different presidents, an unprecedented number.

Op Eds

I’m concerned about sustainability at UConn

Environmental community, listen up: I’m concerned about sustainability at UConn.

An Invitation for Conversation: Zionism, Love and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

My grandfather’s eyes begin to soften as the sun begins to set. It’s Friday night. He’s dressed in white shirt that has taken on a faint yellow hue, black cotton pants, and the curved bottom shoes he claims help maintain his balance. We begin walking to the synagogue at the end of the street, as “Shalom Aleichem” — a traditional Jewish hymn sung on Friday nights — echoes from the synagogue loudspeakers. I wonder how many times my Saba has walked this same route — first on a dirt road, then gravel and now, on a paved sidewalk — and with whom he has walked it with — first his grandfather and father, then his children and now, my brother and me. My Saba was raised on a small chicken farm in the farming community of Kadima, Israel, nestled halfway between the Mediterranean Sea and what is now the Green Line. He tells me of a time before the war when there was peace with the neighboring Arab villages before he had to stand watch at the water tower. He was only ten years old when war broke out in 1948. At one point the Iraqi army came within five kilometers of his village. He finishes his story as we take our seats inside the synagogue sanctuary.

Op-Ed: The free speech movement is a waste of time, so let’s put our students first (and actually do our jobs)

I am Darren Mack and I am a Senator in USG. I had told myself initially that I wouldn’t entertain USG’s “Free Speech Movement.”

Op-Ed: The Comptroller is the most impactful position in USG. Here’s why you should run for it.

Per the USG Constitution, “The Comptroller shall oversee all financial matters of the organization and shall ensure that all expenditures of the Undergraduate Student Government are in accordance with Undergraduate Student Government policy and any applicable laws and regulations.”

Op-Ed: UConn: Address the climate crisis

We’re in a pandemic, and while that on its own is concerning and mentally exhausting for anyone, I’m not sure how more people don’t realize that this will not be over even after we get past this pandemic. Why? Because climate change will cause more pandemics and the heightened transmissibility of diseases, along with increasing temperatures and sea levels and a host of other problems. That’s the bad news. The good news? We can take action to address the climate crisis.