Saturday, February 4, 2023

OPINION

HOW TO SUBMIT

The Opinion section welcomes submissions from all undergraduate UConn students. Those interested in writing for Opinion can come to a meeting on Sundays at 5 PM in The Daily Campus building or email opinion@dailycampus.com.

While, like any newspaper, The Daily Campus is not obligated to respond to or publish any submission, we do our best to respond to each communication from community members despite often overwhelming volume. If we cannot publish your writing, we will explain our rationale or work with you to improve the submission if possible.

A full list of up-to-date opinion section standards for all articles can be found at this link

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

HOW TO SUBMIT

Letters to the Editor are written by members of the community who are not undergraduate or graduate students. The Daily Campus is student-run and exists primarily to give a platform to the students at UConn. When non-students have an important message they wish to share with the community, we encourage them to write Letters to the Editor.

• To have a letter printed in The Daily Campus, please follow the guidelines listed below:

• Limit your letter to 250-400 words
    • We will do our best to publish all articles that are submitted within two weeks.
    • Letters must be emailed to opinion@dailycampus.com.
    • Include your full name as well as your year and major, year of graduation or position on campus. If you are not affiliated with the University of Connecticut, please include your town of residence.
    • Include a phone number and email address where you can be reached. This is for verification purposes only and will not be printed.

OP-EDS

HOW TO SUBMIT

Op-eds are a kind of submission reserved for undergraduate and graduate students at UConn writing specifically on behalf of their membership in a particular group or community here. This could be as a student of a particular subject, participant in a club or political organization, or member of an underrepresented group here. Submissions connect personal experiences to advocacy regarding issues at UConn.

• Limit your letter to 400 words.
  • Letters must be submitted by 4 p.m. the day prior to when you would like it to run. The Daily Campus cannot guarantee publication if it is submitted past the deadline.

CULTURE SHOCK

HOW TO SUBMIT

Culture Shock is a column for UConn community members to anonymously discuss race, culture, and ethnicity on campus.

• If you have been a witness to or victim of derogatory comments or incidents, we strongly encourage you to report it to through UConn’s bias incident protocol or to the UConn Police Department.

• Entries can take many forms, such as written columns, artwork or poetry. If you do write something, try to keep it between 400-500 words. Please submit pieces here and email any artwork to opinion@dailycampus.com. Feel free to reach out to opinion@dailycampus.com with any questions.
    • This column is not a call-out space — it is an anonymous forum for UConn students to share their experiences on campus. Any identifying information — such as names or apartment numbers — will be edited out.
    • We will do our best to publish all articles that are submitted within a week, but we do retain the right to send articles back for edits if they do not meet our editorial standards of professionalism and respect.
    • We only ask for your name and email address to confirm that you are a UConn student. Your personal information will not be shared in any way, shape or form

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The Speech I Couldn’t Give 

On Thursday 1/19, I attended the MLK Living Legacy Convocation, hosted by the Office for Diversity and Inclusion and cosponsored by The Provost Office, CLAS, School of Pharmacy, Africana Studies Institute, The Library, School of Fine Arts and NEAG. I did not attend to enjoy the resonant Voices of Inspiration or Voices of Freedom, although their performances were absolutely beautiful. As were the solo performances by Isaac Barber and Shayla Winn. No, I did not attend to learn from the brilliant Dr. Eddie Glaude Jr., although his keynote and Q&A was certainly illuminating. I attended the Convocation to accept the 2023 MLK Living Legacy Award on behalf of the late Dominique Courts. Dom was a dear friend of mine and remains my soul sister. I wrote a speech to honor their life but was barred from delivering it due to time constraints. I’d like to share it with you all here, although we both know it would hit different spoken aloud. 

Letter to the editor: High school sports are worth every dollar and more.

On Monday, October 10th, an article ran in The Daily Campus asked the question, “Are high school sports worth the cost?” Unfortunately, besides the brief mention of the multitude of positives — only four sentences — the article was overwhelmingly negative focusing only on the monetary cost to the school district. Contributor Youssef Macary uses his hometown as an example, so I’ll do the same with mine.

Letter to the Editor: As world celebrates Earth Day, Arctic Council ‘pause’ endangers humanity’s united stand against climate change

April 22 is celebrated around the world as Earth Day, a symbolic day of unity on issues relating to the global movement to protect our environment and to slow the pace of climate change.

Letter to Editor: Speak on the core curriculum

The future of the general education curriculum at UConn is being shaped today. Help is needed in getting the word out to UConn’s student body.

Letter to the Editor: Free speech debate

I write in strong disapproval of the recent UConn free speech petition. I believe the passing of this legislation will result in an increase of bias incidents on campus. There is a difference between promoting civil discourse and promoting disparaging commentary. I believe this petition will do the latter.

Op Eds

Op-Ed: What we deserve

Over the month of June, I was afforded the opportunity to attend a political science program at Duke and enroll in graduate courses intended to expose my cohort and I to an early graduate school experience. As a part of this program, various scholars in the field of political science came to present their research.

I’m concerned about sustainability at UConn

Environmental community, listen up: I’m concerned about sustainability at UConn.

An Invitation for Conversation: Zionism, Love and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

My grandfather’s eyes begin to soften as the sun begins to set. It’s Friday night. He’s dressed in white shirt that has taken on a faint yellow hue, black cotton pants, and the curved bottom shoes he claims help maintain his balance. We begin walking to the synagogue at the end of the street, as “Shalom Aleichem” — a traditional Jewish hymn sung on Friday nights — echoes from the synagogue loudspeakers. I wonder how many times my Saba has walked this same route — first on a dirt road, then gravel and now, on a paved sidewalk — and with whom he has walked it with — first his grandfather and father, then his children and now, my brother and me. My Saba was raised on a small chicken farm in the farming community of Kadima, Israel, nestled halfway between the Mediterranean Sea and what is now the Green Line. He tells me of a time before the war when there was peace with the neighboring Arab villages before he had to stand watch at the water tower. He was only ten years old when war broke out in 1948. At one point the Iraqi army came within five kilometers of his village. He finishes his story as we take our seats inside the synagogue sanctuary.

Op-Ed: The free speech movement is a waste of time, so let’s put our students first (and actually do our jobs)

I am Darren Mack and I am a Senator in USG. I had told myself initially that I wouldn’t entertain USG’s “Free Speech Movement.”

Op-Ed: The Comptroller is the most impactful position in USG. Here’s why you should run for it.

Per the USG Constitution, “The Comptroller shall oversee all financial matters of the organization and shall ensure that all expenditures of the Undergraduate Student Government are in accordance with Undergraduate Student Government policy and any applicable laws and regulations.”