Sunday, May 5, 2024
HomeSportsBridget’s Bulletin: A spring sports superlatives roundup 

Bridget’s Bulletin: A spring sports superlatives roundup 

UConn wins against Quinnipiac on Wednesday February 7th in Manchester. After hard fought matches the final score is 5-4. Photo by Connor Sharp/The Daily Campus.

With the spring season coming to a close, what better way to rehash the highs of the spring than with superlatives for each team? While just one award can’t summarize the totality of their year, the spring athletes at the University of Connecticut have made some impressive feats worth recognizing.  

Baseball: Better late than never

The baseball squad got off to a rough start as they consistently fell in late February and early March. While struggling to find their momentum and coming up short more often than not, the group just needed to find their rhythm. A true change began on an April Fools’ Day 14-6 victory over Central Connecticut. From there, things started to pick up. As of late, conference wins against Xavier, St. John’s and Georgetown have been the icing on the cake for the well-earned group. Although it may have taken the Huskies a little extra time to find their groove, sometimes the best things are worth waiting for. Their patience and resilience have paid off as they are No. 1 in the conference.  

Softball: The March Madness special  

March Madness took on a different meaning for the softball squad as they went on a 13-game undefeated run throughout the month. Their success began at the Rainbow Wahine Classic where Cleveland State, Hawaii and New Mexico were all taken down by the Huskies. From there, the success continued to build and ultimately reached a pinnacle with a three-game Butler series. UConn came out on top 9-0 and 10-8 in the first two matches but ultimately fell 1-2 in the finale. Despite this, UConn has dominated the conference and falls at No. 2, just behind Villanova. Later this week, the two will have a chance to go head-to-head for a chance at the top spot.  

Golf: Straight shot to the top   

Few teams immediately soared to the top of the conference, but the men’s golf group did just that. In February, the Big East Match Play sent the Huskies straight to No. 1 as they took down Butler, Creighton and Seton Hall. However, this wasn’t the Huskies’ first rodeo, as they’ve now clinched the title for three consecutive years. Earlier this season, UConn took their straight shot to the top in the UConn Invitational, beating out Boston College, Holy Cross, Siena College and nine others. Next weekend, the Huskies will be traveling to Hardeeville, South Carolina for the Big East Championship.  

The UConn Women’s Lacrosse team takes home a win against Butler with a final score of 21-11 in Storrs Conn. on April 20, 2024. The sunny day allowed the team to celebrate their senior day win with friends and family. Photo by Siham Nedloussi/The Daily Campus.

Lacrosse: Biggest shoes to fill  

The women’s lacrosse group has been led by an upperclassmen rodeo spearheaded by graduate students Kate Shaffer, Eliza Bowman, Jenna Giardina and seniors Susan Lafountain, Lauren Barry and Abby Charron. Although scoring isn’t everything, the cavalry of upperclassmen has turned their attacking line into a well-oiled machine that has gotten better and better with every week. The group has made sure to share the love as a majority of the graduate students and seniors are consistently adding points to their resumes. Next year, the underclassmen will have big shoes to fill, but it appears that they’ve been learning from the best. Sophomore Rayea Davis, who leads the team with 41 goals, will most likely be taking on the big role.  

Track and field: Unsung heroes  

It’s no secret the Huskies have dominated the track and field conference for years as they’re now preparing for a chance at a fourth consecutive Big East Championship. While there is no “I” in team, the individual competitors certainly are some of the most decorated athletes in UConn athletics. With countless athletes in the all-time record books and occupying the top seeds in the conference, the track and field crew are the competitors to beat. Not to mention, the winter squad put up an impressive feat as the team earned 11 winter championships, which is the most in school history.  

Tennis: Dynamic Duos 

While some programs are still busy wrapping up their season, the tennis crew had an explosive end to the year with a 4-0 victory over Creighton and then a 0-4 loss against Xavier in the Big East championships. The athletes appear to be two peas in a pod as they’ve excelled in nearly every doubles match of the season. The doubles success began from their very first contest against Quinnipiac and remained constant until their season finale with Creighton. As for the squad, their lucky number seems to be 2.