Friday, May 3, 2024
HomeSportsSoftball: Huskies set to host Boston College for midweek matchup in Storrs 

Softball: Huskies set to host Boston College for midweek matchup in Storrs 

After securing the series win over Seton Hall on the road, the UConn softball team will get right back to work to host Boston College on Tuesday. It will be a cancer awareness game at Burrill Family Field at the Connecticut Softball Complex. 

The Eagles are entering this series with a 25-19 overall record and 5-13 in conference action. They are coming into this game on a six-game losing streak after being swept by No. 14 Florida State and No. 18 Virginia Tech in two three-game series. The ACC is one of the hardest divisions in college softball as they have five teams in the top 30 of the national rankings so Boston College has struggled to find a flow in this season’s conference play.  

The Eagles and the Huskies faced off earlier this season in Massachusetts. BC defeated UConn 2-0. Boston College was able to secure two runs off a passed ball and an RBI single. Sophomore Halie Pappion led the Eagles on the pitcher’s mound as she allowed just three hits and a walk. In the game, she had three strikeouts on her 2.34 ERA. 

Prior to these matchups, Boston College and UConn have met 68 times with the Huskies leading the all-time series, 46-22. UConn holds a 20-11 home record when facing the Eagles. However, Boston College has won the past two meetings against UConn as they took the victory 4-3 at the Harrington Athletics Village in 2023. 

This week in the Big East accolades, two Huskies were honored. For the third week in a row, Lexi Hastings was named to the Big East Honor roll. She put together five hits and three runs for a .357 batting average in the Huskies weekend series against Seton Hall. Hastings was active on the bases as she stole four over the weekend to add to her season total of 25. The junior outfielder had a hit in each game and scored three of UConn’s six runs.  

Another Husky that was honored by the Big East is Payton Kinney. The senior pitcher tossed 8.1 innings at Seton Hall this weekend. She had a 0.00 ERA and held hitters to a 0.74 batting average. Kinney picked up a pair of wins and struck out 10 Seton Hall hitters across two appearances. She secured the series for the Huskies on Sunday after entering the game in a bases loaded 0-0 score situation. In the pressure filled game, Kinney struck out two straight hitters to keep the game scoreless and the Huskies went on to win 2-0.  

UConn improved their overall record to 25-20 (.556) after the series win at Seton Hall. The Huskies (12-6) now sit at second place in the Big East rankings behind Villanova (16-2). Villanova is on a three-game winning streak and UConn is on a two-game winning streak. The Huskies have a huge weekend ahead as they will host the Wildcats in a three-game series after facing Boston College.  

UConn will face off against Boston College for the midweek matchup at 6:00 p.m. at Burrill Family Field at the Connecticut Softball Complex in Storrs. It will be the first time the Huskies played at home in four games. The non-conference matchup will be available to stream on UConn+.