Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeLifeFood Fight: Mouthwatering watermelon 

Food Fight: Mouthwatering watermelon 

Illustration by Haleigh Schmidt/The Daily Campus.

Welcome back to the final edition of Food Fight! We originally started this column because Charlotte wanted to become a writer before she graduated and Naiiya was dying to start a column. We both love food yet have opposite tastes, so it was easy to find something to talk about. These articles, albeit short, have been a wonderful addition to our weeks when we randomly talk about food. We hope our viewers enjoyed the food fights and maybe even tried one of our recommendations. We wanted to end the column with a classic treat: candy. Yet when we were deciding on our favorite candy, we both landed on the wonderful and timeless watermelon Sour Patch Kids. There was no food fight, only food peace.  

Charlotte and Naiiya: There’s no doubt in our minds, Sour Patch watermelons are the best candy out on the market. They’re chewy, sweet, tangy and have a great watermelon flavor. They’re incredibly addictive and never get old! They’re simple, consistent and great — you can’t go wrong with Sour Patch watermelons.  

Our honorable mentions:

Kit Kats 

Charlotte and Naiiya: Kit Kats are a delight. The snap, the crunch, the crispy wafer and the chocolate exterior are all magnificent. They’re even better if you pop them into the fridge for a bit! Beyond the classic milk chocolate, there also are a whole bunch of flavors that are equally (or arguably more) delicious. Charlotte has personally tried matcha, strawberry, peach, mint-chocolate duos and some other flavors here and there. She did love all of the flavors listed, and if you ever get the chance to try them, she would highly recommend each one! A lot of the more unique flavors are only sold in Japan, but if you go to an Asian grocery store you might still be able to find them (albeit at a higher price). 

Gummy worms 

Charlotte and Naiiya: Gummy worms bring out something in us. They’re silly, fruity and chewy! We are not the biggest fan of the Trolli Sour Brite Crawlers, which are one of the most common types of gummy worms on the market, but Charlotte does really enjoy the Albanese gummy worms; more specifically, the mango-pink grapefruit and watermelon-blue raspberry gummy worms, which she likes to save for last. They have a bunch of other flavors that are really delicious too.  

Hi-Chew 

Naiiya: Hi-Chew! With a unique texture and delicious fruity flavors, what’s not to like about Hi-Chew? They’ve got lots of fun flavors from the classics (strawberry, grape and green apple) to the more tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, kiwi and dragonfruit, among others. Naiiya personally likes the texture a lot; it’s a fun chew that isn’t quite like any other chewy candy, but she knows it’s not everyone’s cup of tea! 

Almond Joy 

Charlotte: Hear me out. I know Almond Joys are widely hated on, but imagine an Almond Joy outside of the candy bar: sweet, shredded coconut covered in a thin layer of chocolate with an almond on top. It almost sounds too good to be a candy bar, but that’s why I love them. They’re the perfect sweet treats that taste delicious and are probably less bad for you. Also, since a bunch of people hate Almond Joys, there’s usually a bunch left in any communal candy bowl! 

Worst Candies: 

Mike and Ikes and Dots 

Naiiya: These are honestly fine, but just very boring. If you gave me the choice between eating Mike and Ikes, Dots and a saltine (which many consider to be “boring”), I’d choose the saltine any day. If I’m going to be consuming excessive amounts of sugar, I’d rather do it with stuff that actually tastes good. 

Warheads 

Charlotte: These are too sour to enjoy. Candy shouldn’t give you mouth burns. Anyone who puts this as their favorite candy is trying to be edgy and quirky. 

Anyways, thanks for an awesome semester! Maybe you’ll see us one more time…