Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeSportsThe Rod Wave: A way too early look at UConn MBB next...

The Rod Wave: A way too early look at UConn MBB next season 

Today’s the day: my last ever Rod Wave. Why not write it on the sport that’s been so good to me during my four years at UConn: men’s basketball? 

UConn men’s basketball wins their second consecutive NCAA Championship against Purdue on April 8, 2024. This was the program’s sixth national title, tying UConn with North Carolina for third all-time for most titles behind UCLA and Kentucky. Photo by Associate Photo Editor Jordan Arnold/The Daily Campus

To preface this way too early look at this group, things can change immediately with this team. Players can transfer, new contributors can be added or all of the above as soon as tomorrow. In this era of college basketball, chaos reigns supreme.  

With that being said, I’m still super intrigued by the potential of this roster going into next season. Unfortunately for the Huskies, they are losing some key contributors such as Tristen Newton, Cam Spencer, Donovan Clingan and Stephon Castle. That’s not even mentioning Alex Karaban, who has the option to return next season but is also currently testing the NBA Draft waters. That’s a lot of talent to replace, even more than the transition from championships No. 1 to No. 2 in the Dan Hurley era that included three current NBA players in Jordan Hawkins, Andre Jackson and Adama Sanogo. 

However, Husky fans have a lot to be excited about with this roster’s potential. The two names that immediately stick out are Jaylin Stewart and Solo Ball, two freshman that had some massive flashes of talent last season. 

For Stewart specifically, he has the opportunity to take a huge sophomore leap going into next season. With some valuable defensive versatility (even playing the five spot in some situations last season) and a sweet jumper that was especially important in the Big East Tournament final against Marquette, there’s a lot to like with him as a player in an increased role. He’ll be one of the players that should have all eyes on him. 

As for Ball, he stepped up big last season in the early absence of Stephon Castle after a right knee injury against Stonehill. Those are quite the shoes to fill for a young freshman so early in the season in such an unexpected turn of events, but the 6-foot-3 guard was impressive. Highlighted by a 13-point performance against North Carolina in the Jimmy V Classic, the young Husky similarly flashed potential like his Fab Five teammate, showcasing a very quality jumper and the ability to be a big offensive spark for last year’s group. In a larger role next season, he’ll have the opportunity to showcase more of his impressive skillset like some ridiculous athleticism. 

Then, there’s Hassan Diarra, who has yet to confirm that he’s returning to Storrs. Another season from the former Texas A&M transfer would be massive wherever he’s placed in the lineup with the strides he made as a player and leader for this roster. 

The frontcourt is starting to shape up more with the acquisition of former Michigan Wolverine Tarris Reed Jr., who I’ve already analyzed in a previous article. He possesses a lot of promise for the Huskies as a great rebounder and a player with a lot of strength in the paint at the five spot. Joining him is Samson Johnson who, in his first full season with the program, provided some very valuable minutes as a rim runner and offensive spark off the bench. That’s not even mentioning the defensive presence he provided as an athletic paint protector. 

Yet, some of the biggest potential names on this roster may still be out there. The program has been linked to a variety of names including Aidan Mahaney, who is visiting Storrs on Thursday per Jeff Goodman. Koby Brea, who is also expected to visit campus soon, would also be a massive addition with his lethal shooting touch and experience in the Atlantic 10, especially with the departures of players like Spencer.  

However, the most exciting name was Liam McNeeley, who was on campus for a visit on Monday and Tuesday. With the potential departure of Alex Karaban, the former Indiana commit would be a game changing acquisition for this squad with what he’s showcased as a prospect with a deadly jumper and an overall polished offensive skillset. What McNeeley could potentially do with this coaching staff if he opts to join the Huskies could truly boost the expectations of this squad overnight. 

Finally, I wanted to touch up on the two freshman additions to this roster: Ahmad Nowell and Isaiah Abraham. With Nowell specifically, he’s got all the tools to be successful with Connecticut on both sides of the ball. Tools like a consistent jumper, some energetic on-ball defense and impressive playmaking skills have all helped him get far, and it will be fun to keep an eye on how he develops. 

Abraham meanwhile carries a ton of potential with his athleticism and defensive capabilities. Getting to watch the Virginia native ball out at the 2024 Hoophall Classic was truly a joy to watch, especially against some high-level players like Cam Boozer. If Abraham can put it together with Connecticut and this coaching staff, he has the potential to be a productive player for this roster in the future. 

Even in the most uneventful period of college basketball, there’s still plenty to get excited about and things will only get more chaotic from here. Although this will be my last column of my Daily Campus career, my work in Storrs is far from over. 

But as far my Daily Campus career, Rod Wave out… 

Evan Rodriguez
Evan Rodriguez is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at evanrodriguez@uconn.edu