Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeSportsWomen's Lacrosse: Huskies set sights on final conference match before Big East...

Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies set sights on final conference match before Big East Championship 

With the last regular season contest hanging in the balance before the Big East Championship, the lacrosse squad has a season of highs and lows to reflect upon.  

As of late, the Huskies have much to be proud of. Although it took UConn a little longer than usual to settle into a groove, once they found it, they hit the ground running. To start the season, the crew came up just short in their first three matches. Fairfield, James Madison and Saint Joseph’s all took early titles, but soon after, the Huskies seemed to gel.  

Real momentum arose in mid-March as they went on a three-game streak, toppling Hofstra, Marist and Columbia. Columbia was one of the year’s most notable contests as the Huskies emerged victorious, 17-1.  

The UConn Women’s Lacrosse team takes home a win against Butler with final score of 21-11 in Storrs. on April 20, 2024. The sunny day allowed the team to celebrate their senior day win with their friends and family. Photo by Siham Nedloussi/The Daily Campus

Despite the high, a low followed soon thereafter. Denver, No.1 in the Big East, made quick work of dismantling the Huskies’ flow. After the 9-18 loss, the Huskies then made a complete 180 and rose from the ashes. The squad completed their longest winning streak of the season, four games, and took down three conference opponents in the process.  

This Saturday, the Huskies will square off against Georgetown. Interestingly, both groups have a 4-1 conference record, both only falling to Denver and seeding No. 2. It appears neither team will go down without a fight.  

While no conference game is perfectly executed, the Huskies (9-6) may have the small advantage of a slightly better season record than the Hoyas (7-9).  

The Huskies are also coming off a sensational 21-11 victory over Butler. A career-high 11-point showing from graduate student Kate Shaffer earned her the Big East Attacker of the Week title. While the Hoyas have several skilled offensive players, UConn’s line of attack appears to be a bit stronger and more cohesive.   

In goal, the Huskies also appear to be stronger. Both Landyn White (.480) and Sofia Oximana (.455) have higher save percentages than the Hoyas’ keepers. White has also made incredible strides in goal this year, surpassing 700 career saves and setting the program record for total wins as a goalie.   

While the game is the last contest before the conference championship, it will be the final opportunity for the Huskies to capitalize on a Big East victory.  

So far, the Huskies have put all their efforts out on the field, and their work has spoken for itself. Just over two months ago, the group was struggling to find their rhythm, and now, they’ve climbed the ladder to No. 2 in the conference.