Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeSportsMen’s Soccer: Huskies suffer first loss of the season against Boston College

Men’s Soccer: Huskies suffer first loss of the season against Boston College

The UConn men’s soccer team (3-1-3) suffered their first loss of the season in a 3-1 road setback at Boston College (5-2-0) on Tuesday night. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team (3-1-3) suffered their first loss of the season in a 3-1 road setback at Boston College (5-2-0) on Tuesday night.

Boston College opened the scoring in the seventh minute when Zieko Lewis collected an errant pass and beat UConn goalkeeper Scott Levene on a breakaway. The goal was the first of the season allowed by the Huskies in the first half.

UConn almost tied it up in the 21st minute when Fredrik Jonsson sent a header on goal, but the attempt was deflected out of bounds by a defender for a corner kick. In the 26th minute, the Eagles extended their lead to 2-0 on a short goal by Trevor Davock. Lewis and Len Zeugner recorded assists on the goal.

Just five minutes later, Boston College notched their third goal of the game as Lewis scored for the second time. Not many chances were had by either team in the next fifteen minutes, as Boston College entered the halftime break holding a 3-0 lead over UConn.

In the second half, the Huskies came out with a sharp offense, earning multiple corner kicks. Jonsson provided the most threatening shot, which Eagles goalkeeper Kapp punched over and behind the net.

UConn got on the scoreboard in the 64th minute, when Alex Sanchez fired a laser from 20 yards out past Kapp to cut Boston College’s lead to 3-1. Jonsson was credited with an assist on the goal, the first of Sanchez’s career.

The Eagles dictated play for the next ten minutes, challenging Levene with multiple shots in an attempt to extend their lead. UConn did not create many chances after that, as a few hopeful Jonsson shots went wide of the net. Boston College was able to drain the clock and walk away with a 3-1 victory, which cut UConn’s all-time series lead to 31-9-3.

Levene finished the match with five saves for the Huskies, while Kapp saved one shot for the Eagles.

The loss snapped a 13-match unbeaten streak for UConn, which had extended back into 2014. 

The Huskies will look to get back to their winning ways when they open American Athletic Conference play next weekend. UConn takes on South Florida in Tampa on Saturday Sep. 26. The match is set for 7 p.m. at Corbett Stadium.

Tyler Keating is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering UConn soccer. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.