HomeSportsWomen's Basketball: Stewart searching for history

Women’s Basketball: Stewart searching for history

UConn women’s basketball forward Breanna Stewart handles the ball during the Huskies’ preseason game against Vanguard University on Sunday, Nov. 8, 2015. (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

There is not much left for Breanna Stewart to do in her collegiate basketball career, except set out on what she came to UConn to do: win four national championships.  

The senior forward has done it all and then some during her time at the University of Connecticut.

Heading into her senior season, the Syracuse, New York native will look to lead the Huskies to a fourth-straight national championship. If the Huskies can do so, Stewart and fellow senior Moriah Jefferson can become the first players to win four NCAA national championships.

“This year, it’s going to be our team and we’d like to think that we can only go as far as we take the team,” Stewart said in a recent Hartford Courant article on Nov. 10.

Not only does Stewart have three championships, but she has three NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player awards. If she wins that same award this season, she would be the only player to win four. Currently, she is the only player in UConn history with three Final Four Most Outstanding Player Awards.

Last year Stewart joined UConn legends Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi in a select group of players who have won multiple Naismith College Player of the Year Awards.

Even before she stepped on the court for the Huskies first regular season game this year Stewart broke another record. This week “Stewie,” as she is commonly called, became just the fourth player to be chosen as a unanimous Associated Press Preseason All-American twice.

Moore is also one of those four.

“That’s great company to be in,” Stewart said in an article from the Associated Press on Nov. 10. “To be named with those players is humbling since they’ve had so much success.”

Jefferson was also named a preseason All-American. In addition to winning three national championships together, the duo are also the 18th and 19th Huskies to be named All-Americans.

Stewart is also just 40 points away from becoming the ninth member of UConn’s 2,000 point club.

Stewart already ranks amongst the all-time greatest college athletes ever, but she will be looking to add to her already impressive resume this season.

“What I want people to think when they see me as a player is someone who is hungry to get better, and also is humble,” Stewart told ESPN.com’s Mechelle Voepel in an article on Nov. 9.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.