HomeLifeGrooveBoston brings epic dance party to UConn with Ethos Tour

GrooveBoston brings epic dance party to UConn with Ethos Tour

Audience members are seen at a GrooveBoston event at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts in Storrs, Connecticut on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts was transformed this past Friday night to host EDM Company GrooveBoston.

The night started around 8 p.m. when students were let into the venue. They were welcomed to walk the “red carpet” and take photos in front of a customized background with the Ethos Tour logo.

For the next two hours a warm-up DJ played music while neon lights flashed across the dance floor. Students, most of whom dressed in neon, consistently stayed energized after each song was being played. Even the event staff moved along to the beats.

GrooveBoston combines “massive-scale production” with “world-class resident DJs to create legendary events on college campuses,” according to its website.

The Facebook event page posted by SUBOG, ‘“Ethos” is the spirit that connects, inspires and defines our generation” therefore the Ethos Tour is about “celebrating that spirit by creating a concert experience unlike anything UConn has seen before – one that’s uniquely authentic, engaging and powerful.”

The crowd slowly, but steadily grew until the main DJs came out at 10 p.m.

Glow sticks were passed out minutes before while the lights shut off signifying the event was about to begin.  As soon as the curtain dropped to reveal UConn being projected on a light display behind the DJs the crowd went crazy, bumping their fists and jumping.

There was a giant disco ball hanging in the center of the floor, smoke machines, bubbles, balloons, graphics and a live camera of the DJs and audience played on screens.

Sixth-semester finance major Kayla Dimichele, said, “I thought it was cool because I’ve never been to a DJ show so that was interesting. The lights and different features like the snow and bubbles and balloons were really cool.”

The energy in the room stayed at an all time high all throughout the entire show as they played remixes of popular songs like “Me, Myself & I” by G-Eazy, “My Way” by Fetty Wap and “What Do You Mean” by Justin Bieber.

“The concert was awesome. Once the DJs came on at 10 (p.m.) it got really good. They played really good music,” said sixth-semester journalism and communication major Ali Walz.

A portion of all the proceeds made from every 2015-2016 Ethos Tour event will be donated to help support the future of music education according to GrooveBoston’s website.

Angie DeRosa is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu. She tweets @theangiederosa.