HomeLifeRoundtable: Where are the best date spots on campus?

Roundtable: Where are the best date spots on campus?

Want to see a beautiful view while strolling with a significant other? Check out Horsebarn Hill, pictured above. (Carly Lazeski/The Daily Campus)

The winter is about to end and the weather’s about to get nicer. Wanna know what that’s perfect for? Dates. Here are our picks for the best spots on campus to go hang out with that crush you’ve had all semester and just got the courage to ask out.

Edward Pankowski, life editor: The most underrated place to go on a date in Storrs is also the most beautiful — and that’s Horsebarn Hill. For three seasons out of the year, this is the most beautiful spot on campus, with an amazing view of the forest and countryside surrounding Storrs.

Get some ice cream from the Dairy Bar, which is located next to path leading up to the hill, then bring a blanket to the top and just hang out. It’s a no-brainer and works equally well for first dates or for anniversaries. Horsebarn Hill is just a great place for dates, and it’s an underused resource for students on campus.

Diler Haji, campus correspondent: Nature has a way of bringing people together, and couples are no exception. So skip the restaurants and movies and try something a little different. Both you and your date will appreciate the breath of fresh air. Pack a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the shape of hearts. Make them together as part of a pre-date. Grab a pair of binoculars and your favorite bird identification guide and head over to any one of the forested areas around campus. Make it a contest. Who can spot the most birds? Have a picnic somewhere nice and talk about each other. This is called bonding. Let the birds ease your nerves and enjoy the company of someone who is or may soon become very important to you.

Anokh Palakurthi, associate life editor: When 50 Cent said “let me take you to the candy shop,” he wasn’t trying to make a sexual entendre. In fact, he was actually talking about Sweet Emotions Candy Shop, located on Dog Lane. Actually, he probably wasn’t talking about that at all. But still.

This small shop seems like your average candy store, but trust me: it’s situated around a pretty great hangout place near Storrs Plaza and has just about every flavor of candy you could possibly crave or want. And who doesn’t like candy? It’s perfect for first dates when you’re getting to know someone for the first time and also great for couples that share a common interest in good, not-too-expensive, sweet food.

Helen Stec, staff writer: I think the best place on campus—well, close to campus—to go on a date is Oriental Café in Storrs Center. Sure, it can be a bit cramped and loud, but the sushi is excellent, and if your date doesn’t like sushi, there’s Chinese on the menu, too. Everyone can find at least one thing they want to eat at Oriental and it’s pretty reasonably priced, so if you’re paying for two it won’t break the bank. It’s also a fantastic place to eavesdrop and people watch. I honestly think that you can’t go wrong with this place.

Brett Steinberg, staff writer: The best place to take someone out on a date at UConn is Dog Lane Café. It’s not too expensive and has a great atmosphere to it. You can just get a drink or food depending on the time of the day and it’s situated in the middle of Storrs Center. It is also just a quick walk from Mirror Lake by South campus. If it’s warm, you can eat outside and then take a walk to get frozen yogurt. The windows at Dog Lane Café are large and allow for a lot of light to come in, which creates a well-lit vibe for the occasion. 

Edward Pankowski is life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.pankowski@uconn.edu.

Diler Haji is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at diler.haji@uconn.edu.

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.

Helen Stec is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at helen.stec@uconn.edu.

Brett Steinberg is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brett.steinberg@uconn.edu. He tweets @OfficialBrett.