Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeLifeLazy Boy On Campus: Skip the party and still have fun

Lazy Boy On Campus: Skip the party and still have fun

“Lazy Boy On Campus” is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

The variety of television shows and movies featured on Netflix provides the opportunity to binge watch for hours, presenting an alternative to a night out. (Televisione Streaming/ Flickr Creative Commons)

Fall is in the air. It’s a time of pumpkins and pumpkin pie. It’s a time of apple cider and apple cider donuts. It’s a time of crazy exams and even crazier parties. Most people love parties. I am most definitely a fan of parties. It’s a great way to cut loose after a crazy difficult week.

But right now, parties are as stressful as everything else. A morning after partying is a morning that starts obnoxiously late. In time where I have to be up in the morning and ready to go study for hours, I do not want to be nursing a hangover or spend less time studying.

Also, going to parties is actually a lot of work. First you have to get ready, make yourself look presentable and figure out where all of your friends are going. If your friends are hosting, then there is a good chance that you are helping set up. That means you have to help them stock the fridge, which means heading to the packie to get a 30-rack that I will probably not end up drinking. If I’m heading to someone’s party, then coordinating rides becomes an issue; and parties never happen in only one place. You can bet that you’ll probably travel from one place to another and if you’re of age (or not, I won’t tell) you’ll more than likely end up at the bar at around midnight.

So how do you have fun and still avoid actually doing anything strenuous? By the way, Late Night is not an actual option. I’ve been against Late Night since I opted to order a pizza freshman year instead of actually doing anything with my evening. It’s not that Late Night isn’t fun, it’s just that I don’t actually feel relaxed at the end of everything. Also I live super far from the Union, so I’m not even going to deal with it.

When figuring out what to do for fun while still being too lazy to actually do anything figure out what you most enjoy in the whole world. Is it sleeping, watching Netflix, hanging with your significant other, hanging out with all of your friends or even just playing board-games. Take a moment to figure out what it is. Do you have it? Great. Most of those things might seem like they run contrary to a peaceful night but that’s not always the case. All of these fun things can be scaled down to a more easily doable size when you are in a lazy dip.

Have the party that you want. It doesn’t have to be a big one. Have a few drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) and play some games. Throw a movie up on Netflix and relax with your friends. Hell, even just go to sleep if that’s your thing.

Basically, make your night as fun as it needs to be. You don’t have to go out and have some ridiculous party. Remember those parties you used to have during freshmen year with people on your floor? Do something like that.

Also in case anyone forgot, its October, the start of the epic holiday movie scene. This means maybe you could have a Halloween marathon. Watch “Nightmare Before Christmas” and then maybe some “Halloweentown.”

At the end of the day, you do you. Me personally? I’m going to go puton some comfy clothes, grab a beer, throw something up onto Netflix and maybe even invite a few friends over. 

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu.