HomeLifeLeonardo DiCaprio climate change movie screening to be held Nov. 1

Leonardo DiCaprio climate change movie screening to be held Nov. 1

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry chats with Leonardo DiCaprio at the screening of “Before the Flood” at the UN Headquarters in New York City on Oct, 20, 2016. (State Department/ Wikimedia Commons Creative Commons)

EcoHusky will be screening a climate change documentary starring Leonardo DiCaprio on Tuesday night, Co-President of EcoHusky Adrianna Antigiovanni said.

“‘Before the Flood,’ presented by National Geographic, was produced by and stars Leonardo DiCaprio in his quest to further explore the issue of climate change,” EcoHusky Co-President Christen Bellucci said.

DiCaprio will be exploring environmental, social, economic and human rights issues surrounding climate change, Antigiovanni said.

The movie has been sent to schools across the nation, Antigiovanni said.

“They wanted [the movie screening] to be right before elections so people have a last kick of awareness of climate change before they go to the election ballots,” Antigiovanni said.

EcoHusky encourages students, faculty, staff and the local community to attend the screening in order to gain a better understanding of the severity and urgency of this issue, Bellucci said.

Bellucci said that action must be taken now, and that she hopes to relay that message to the UConn community by screening this documentary.

“As students and as a university, we have far more power and voice than you could imagine,” Bellucci said. “And it’s critical that we use it to fight one the most pressing issues of our generation.”

Those interested in the environment like Amber DeRobertis, fifth-semester environmental science major and president of the Soil & Water Conservation Society, plan to attend the screening.

“We (are) interested in the environment and we thought it was a perfect thing to go to all together as a club,” DeRobertis said.

Antigiovanni said she expects a good turnout.

The screening of “Before the Flood” will be on Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 7:30 p.m. in Laurel Hall room 102, Antigiovanni said.

EcoHusky is an environment-focused group on campus, focused on general outreach, Bellucci said.

Dario Cabrera is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at dario.cabrera@uconn.edu.