Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeNewsUCFD developing new campus safety desktop app

UCFD developing new campus safety desktop app

The University of Connecticut Fire Department is currently working to expand the university’s public safety system through a computer desktop app.

The Office of Emergency Management created an “Emergency Hazard Guide” application that redirects users to a link that lists several ways to prepare for hazards such as active threat, tornados and many other emergencies.

However, the desktop app is only currently available for Windows computers, leaving a number of Apple Mac users without immediate access to the guide.

The Apple operating environment platform is still in production with University Information Technology Services but will be finalized soon, said UCFD Liaison Captain Christopher Renshaw.
Renshaw made no further comment on an exact date of when the Apple portion of the project would be completed.

UConn has steadily been expanding active safety awareness through the UConnALERT system. In the event of an emergency, the system will notify members of the UConn community through several methods: text message, social media, voicemail, email and through the UConn webpages.

Students, faculty and staff can sign up for text message alerts through the Student Administration System website.

Neel Razdan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at neel.razdan@uconn.edu.