HomeLifeSUBOG announces Big Gigantic as winter concert

SUBOG announces Big Gigantic as winter concert

Big Gigantic performs at Spring Awakening in Chicago, IL in 2014. The EDM group will be performing on Feb. 3 for SUBOG’s winter concert. (swimfinfan/Flickr Creative Commons)    

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) took to their social media accounts Tuesday to announce Big Gigantic as this year’s winter concert scheduled for Feb. 3. 

Big Gigantic is a hip-hop, jazz, electronic group based out of Boulder, CO. What makes them unique from other EDM artists is their use of the saxophone during live performances.

They’ve managed to climb to notoriety by playing large-scale music festivals like Lollapalooza, Ultra, Bonnaroo, Firefly and Coachella.

In an interview with the Huffington Post, author Shawn Russell Johnson writes that the duo “strives to create a difference, not only in the electronic music world, but in the world at large.” 

Big Gigantic works with the organization Conscious Alliance to provide communities across the United States with “emergency food relief, empowerment programs for youth in impoverished regions and nutrition, exercise and gardening education for youth in economically isolated Native American reservations.”

The group recently released Winter Chill Mix Vol 3 last Wednesday, Jan. 11 through SoundCloud.

They will perform Friday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. in the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets can be purchased starting today online at jorgensen.uconn.edu and the Jorgensen Box Office.

The concert is open to all UConn students and their guests. Prices are as followed:

UConn Student Floor $25, Guest of UConn Student Floor $35, UConn Student Balcony $15 and Guests of UConn Student Balcony $25. There is a four ticket per person limit on all purchases.

For more information visit jorgensen.uconn.edu or subog.uconn.edu.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa