HomeNewsUConn requires residents to check in for spring

UConn requires residents to check in for spring

Students returning to campus this semester are required to check in through My Housing accounts. (File Photo/Daily Campus)

On-campus students at the University of Connecticut who haven’t properly checked in for spring housing could lose their card access on Wednesday. Students can check in to their My Housing accounts through the Residential Life program’s website.

This is the first semester that students have been required to do so. UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the measure was introduced to improve security and ensure that all students who should have card access still do.

“In the past, we have only checked in and issued keys to students who are new and returning to campus, so it was sometimes difficult to determine if the continuing students were in fact also here,” Reitz said. “Under this new approach, our housing software recognizes when a returning student has either checked in themselves or our staff have checked in a new student. That allows our security system to know when someone is here and needs card access.”

As of Tuesday morning only a small portion of students had not checked in, Reitz said.

Any students who find that they have lost card access on Wednesday should make sure that they have checked into their My Housing accounts. Further questions can sent to livingoncampus@uconn.edu.

Christopher McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.