HomeLifeRoundtable: Best and worst commercials of Super Bowl Ll

Roundtable: Best and worst commercials of Super Bowl Ll

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft holds the the Vince Lombardi Trophy after the Patriots won the NFL Super Bowl 51 football game against the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017, in Houston. (Elise Amendola/AP Exchange)

Angie DeRosa, Life Editor

Best: Budweiser – I appreciate a commercial that invokes emotions and this one definitely did. It sums up the “American dream;” it depicts founder of the beer Adolphus Busch coming to America from Germany and working his way up to fulfill his dreams.

Worst: American Petroleum Institute – This commercial glorified the need for oil as if it is essential to our lives (creating art, finding “potential,” “exploring space”), but what we really should be doing with the $5 million spent to put this ad on air, is finding eco-friendly solutions rather than continuing to ruin the only planet we have.

Francesca Colturi, Associate Life Editor

Best: Coca~Cola – Instead of debuting a new commercial, Coca~Cola reused a 2014 commercial where people of many genders, professions, ethnicities and ages sing “America the Beautiful” in multiple languages including English. The diverse people portrayed in the commercial are happy and loving. After much controversy three years ago, I’m glad the company stuck ideal American values of inclusion and family in the face of today’s political chaos.

Worst: Snickers – Just so awkward and definitely not cooler because it was live. They could’ve gone so many ways with a live commercial and the dreamy Star Wars: The Force Awakens actor Adam Driver, but no, it was just stupid.

Chris Hanna, Staff Writer

Best: Buick – NFL superstar Cam Newton and supermodel Miranda Kerr teamed up to highlight the car company while playing and coaching a Pee-0Wee football game. It was a light-hearted twist on similar “This is a Buick?” commercials in the past and was easily one of the best of Super Bowl LI ads in a year without any Doritos commercials.

Worst: Snickers – It was leaked before the Super Bowl that Snickers would be airing a live commercial at some point in the third quarter. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to the hype whatsoever. Snickers made a real dud, lacking a memorable quote and honestly seeming like it was filmed in advance, which ruined the commercial for me.

Josh Buser, Staff Writer

Best: Skittles – Although the constant “Katie” admittedly gets annoying, this commercial brings comedy, “bad romance” and a beaver together, and it is glorious. Skittles are delicious so I may be a bit biased, but this seems like a flawless strategy to get Katie back.

Worst: Intel – What is Intel even selling here? Slow-motion replays of Tom Brady getting out of bed, brushing his teeth and eating breakfast are in no way “epic.” The cute dog prevents this commercial from being completely dreadful, but even that can’t save Intel.