Friday, May 10, 2024
HomeSportsUConn women’s lacrosse falls short in home opener

UConn women’s lacrosse falls short in home opener

Pictured: Molly O’Reilly (number %) vs a Boston College opponent Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017 at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.  The Huskies lost 11-14.  (Jason Jiang/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team fell short in their home-opener against Boston College (4-2, 0-2 ACC) on Wednesday Feb. 22nd.

UConn is now 1-2 in their young season. They have not yet played any conference games.

In the Huskies took an early 2-0 lead in the first half with goals by Brooke Jensen and Maggie Tripodi. BC answered however with two goals of their own to tie the game at 2-2. The rest of the half was close with the final score before half time 6-7 with UConn leading.

The second half, BC did the bulk of the scoring to bring the game to 12-9 in their favor with 6:42 left in the game. UConn rallied to score two points to bring the score to 13-11 with two minutes left but ultimately fell short after a goal by BC’s Kaileen Hart brought the final score to 14-11 in favor of the Eagles.

Jacqueline Jordan led the Huskies with four points from three goals and one assist. So far this season, the senior attackman has eight points off of six goals and two assists.

The leader in points for the Huskies is junior attackman Grace Nolan, who has 13 points off of eight goals and five assists.

Nolan was recently named the Big East Conference Attacker of the Week after a seven-point performance at Fairfield for the team’s home-opener. She also added two goals in the last three minutes of the Huskies game against James Madison bringing the score to within one.

Freshman goalkeeper Grace Beshlian had 14 saves on the day.

Leading the way for BC was sophomore midfielder Sam Apuzzo who had five goals and one assist, bringing her goals for the season to 19 and assists to 13.

Next up the Huskies will face New Hampshire at 1 p.m. at home in Storrs this Sunday.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.