Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeNewsUConn advises international students not to leave the country under new travel...

UConn advises international students not to leave the country under new travel ban

UConn has more than 3,300 international students currently enrolled, and a total of 87 that are affected by the executive order, according to UConn Today. All international students and scholars have been advised not to leave the country at the moment. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut is advising international students and scholars not to leave the country due to concerns with President Donald J. Trump’s new travel ban.

Citizens of six predominantly Muslim countries will be restricted from entering the United States when Trump’s executive order goes into effect on March 16, according to WFSB.

A detailed list of the implications of the travel ban can be found on the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website.

A group of UConn faculty, staff and students are currently working to review any new implications that will affect the university’s campuses, according to UConn Today.

“We in the UConn community are fortunate to work in a place that offers us opportunities to engage with people from around the world, and we value our international students, scholars, and staff immensely,” Daniel Weiner, UConn’s vice president for global affairs said.

UConn has more than 3,300 international students currently enrolled, and a total of 87 that are affected by the executive order, according to UConn Today.

According to UConn Today, the population of Iranian students is the fifth-largest within the population of all international students on campus.

The executive order has removed Iraq from the list of countries whose visa-holding citizens are barred from entering the U.S.

The residents of six other countries — Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia and Yemen — will not be affected by the 90-day travel ban if they are permanent residents or current visa holders.

However, UConn international students and scholars risk being unable to re-enter the U.S. and therefore are advised not to leave.

“UConn will do everything lawfully within our authority to provide an environment in which all students can feel secure as they pursue their education on our campuses,” said UConn President Susan Herbst in a letter to the community regarding the previous travel ban.

Several other university presidents have issued statements regarding Trump’s new travel ban.

The majority of university presidents used their statement to reaffirm their university’s values; some others used it to criticize Trump’s immigration ban.

“The university is committed to providing clear information and compassionate support to help these individuals and their families throughout the process, and as the travel regulations evolve,” Weiner said.

The executive order can be found on the White House website.

Emma DeGrandi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.degrandi@uconn.edu.