HomeNewsUConn cancels classes for Friday, March 10

UConn cancels classes for Friday, March 10

A tractor and snow plow are seen plowing near the Nathan Hale Inn and South campus during a snow storm on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. UConn canceled all classes on all campuses for Friday, March 10. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut sent out an alert at around 3:15 p.m. on Thursday, announcing the decision to cancel classes at all of its campuses on Friday, March 10 due to inclement weather. Non-essential employees should not report, but all other employees should report as scheduled, according to the alert.

“Our review of the forecasts suggested that the heaviest bands of snow are expected to arrive during some of the most common travel times for our commuter students, and also in the morning when employees are heading to work,” University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “Given that timing, the university felt it would be prudent to cancel classes.”

Storrs is expecting snow to begin falling after 2:00 a.m. Friday morning, and will last until around 11:00 a.m. that morning. Up to four inches of snow is possible. The overall chance of precipitation is 80 percent, according to the National Weather Service.

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy issued a Cold Weather Protocol for Friday for the entire state, and many parts of the state have been issued a Wind Advisory by the National Weather Service, all in lieu of expected bitterly cold temperatures.

Alert updates can be found at alert.uconn.edu.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.