HomeLifeNew tavern coming to campus

New tavern coming to campus

The inside of the new Huskies Tavern, located in the same plaza as Huskies Bar. The tavern will open on Wednesday, March 22, 2017. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Huskies Restaurant and Bar is opening a new tavern adjacent to the existing Huskies Bar.

The Huskies Tavern will never charge cover, making it the only bar on campus not to do so.

“We’ve been telling people it’s not Huskies, it’s not Ted’s,” General Manager KJ Camera said. “It’s an experience all on its own.”

The Tavern will have a more low-key feel. The tavern will not use DJs because only live acoustic music will be played.

Twenty beers on tap, as well as top-shelf liquors will be featured at the bar. Local and craft beers will be included in the mix.

“We’ll have local beers other places don’t have,” Camera said. “The craft beer scene is a phenomenal thing.”

Camera is offering Long Trail, Seasonal Sam Adams, Stony Creek, Lagunitas IPA, Back East Porter, Broad Brook and several other beers.

The beers will be featured among the Daily “Kick-A-Keg,” a rotating $3 draft special. The Kick-A-Keg will be announced daily on Twitter, the bar’s main source of communication.

Additionally, the bar will use a chalkboard “wish list” for bar goers to write-in beers they wish to see on the menu.

“We’re not hoping to attract a necessarily different crowd, but we’re changing things up a bit to attract all students on campus,” Camera said.

All food on the menu will be priced at $5. A convenient paper ordering system will be used. Bar goers simply need to check off what food they want and hand it to the bar staff, making it easier for both parties.

Foods include wings, pepper jack mac and cheese bites, pretzels, pickle fries, salads and burgers.

“We have an excellent kitchen staff that will serve food anytime we are open,” Camera said.

The new tavern follows after Huskies’ move into the new location across the street. With the tavern, the bar and a catering service located right next to each other, Huskies seems to be the dominant presence on that side of campus.

Huskies Tavern’s grand opening is tonight at 7 p.m. It will be open Tuesday to Thursday from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. as well as Friday and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Claire Galvin is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus.   She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.