HomeSportsUConn Baseball: Huskies score two in ninth for 7-5 victory

UConn Baseball: Huskies score two in ninth for 7-5 victory

The UConn Huskies defeated Central Connecticut State University 7-5 on Tuesday afternoon at CCSU. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

After a Central Connecticut three-run home run tied the game in the bottom of the eighth, UConn came to the plate looking to retake the lead and win their first game played in Connecticut this season.

Redshirt junior outfielder Isaac Feldstein delivered for the Huskies, hitting a go-ahead two-run single to give UConn a 7-5 lead. Junior pitcher John Russell came on for the bottom of the ninth and recorded his sixth save of the season while striking out one and giving up one hit.

UConn (10-8) was outhit 11-10 on the afternoon, but the Huskies pitching kept the damage to a minimum and the offense provided just enough.

Freshman shortstop Anthony Prato had a big game for the Huskies. Prato went 2-5 with a double, two runs scored and two RBI. On the season, Prato leads UConn with a .362 batting average, 25 hits and 23 runs.

Sophomore P.J. Poulin started on the mound for UConn, but only lasted 2.2 innings before being pulled. Poulin, Sam Nepiarski and Jacob Wallace managed to get out of several jams in the beginning of the game, preserving a 3-0 UConn lead through five innings.

CCSU (9-8) loaded the bases and got two runs back in the sixth when junior Dean Lockery punched a single through the right side driving in two runs. Doug Domnarski limited the damage once again for the Huskies, recording a strikeout and a pickoff to end the inning.

UConn responded with two more runs in the top of the seventh. Willy Yahn sent Jack Lambrecht home with a sacrifice fly to center for Yahn’s seventh RBI in his eighth game. Zac Susi then hit a double down the right field line to plate another run for the Huskies and extend the lead to 5-2.

Ryan Costello’s game-tying home run in the eighth brought him to 18 RBI on the season, leading CCSU. It was also Costello’s team-leading fourth home run of the year.

UConn used eight pitchers on the day, combining for 11 strikeouts and seven walks. Central also used eight pitchers, as they recorded just three strikeouts but only allowed three walks.

Next up on the Huskies’ schedule is the first home series of the year. Seton Hall will visit J.O. Christian Field on Friday, weather permitting.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.