Huskies earn a double OT draw against No. 18 Georgetown


UConn tied No. 18 Georgetown at Morrone Stadium this weekend. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team (1-21) tied No.18 Georgetown (4-0-1) in double overtime (1-1) this weekend after freshman Austin Da Silva opened the scoring for the Huskies.

Abdou Mbacke Thiam played a through ball to Da Silva and the Connecticut native placed the shot past JT Marcinowski in the 14 minute.

“It was a great pass from Abdou, I had quite a bit of time to just think about it.” Da Silva said.“I  thought ‘I hope this is my moment’ and I buried it. It was just a great feeling to celebrate it with my teammates.”

The goal put the UConn team that has found goals hard to come by so far this season, up early in the match.

“They did a good job of pressing us, not really letting us get into a rhythm,” head coach Ray Reid said. “This is the first good team that has really pressed us and we did not handle it great.”

The game was balanced throughout with both teams creating dangerous chances.

In the 36 minute of the first half, Andrew Geres tripped up the Hoyas Zach Knudson for a penalty. Christian Lema put the penalty kick away to Scott Levene’s left to tie the match.

The second half, was mostly fought in the midfield with the Hoyas attacking in spurts. Georgetown’s Achara had a clear chance with less than 10 minutes to play in the half, but Levene kept the shot out.

Ultimately, neither team could take the lead and the match went to sudden-death overtime.

This is the first good team that has really pressed us and we did not handle it great.
— Head coach Ray Reid

In the first period of OT, Da Silva had a golden chance to end the game, but the shot was saved by Marcinowski at his near post.

The evenness between the two teams was further exemplified in the post-match statistics. Although the Hoyas finished with a 9-2 advantage in corner kicks, UConn tallied a 5-4 edge in shots on goal.

The Huskies are still without junior Dayonn Harris, who suffered a knee injury against Quinnipiac earlier in the season and so Reid has had to get creative. Typically a center midfielder freshman Blaise N’Gague was played higher up the pitch. The freshman’s yellow card early in the match assisted Reid in his decision.

Despite a quality result against a good team, Reid was not satisfied with his teams performance.

“I thought we were sluggish,” Reid said. “But we grinded out a result. That team is a good team. That team is better than Notre Dame and we grinded out a result.”

The Huskies return to action Tuesday, when they welcome Hofstra to Storrs.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at

Leave a Reply