Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeLifeGet your closets ready, fall fashion is here

Get your closets ready, fall fashion is here

Fall is here which means its time to break out your bean boots and scarves. (paul bica/Flickr Creative Commons)

With New York fall fashion week underway, there are lots of articles online telling you which high-fashion trends will be popular this season and which clothes to buy. But if we’re being honest, as broke college students trying to survive in windy Storrs, these looks aren’t always the most practical. That’s why I’m here to list some of the most essential clothing pieces to help you transition from the heat of summer to cooler weather effortlessly.

Bean Boots

Number one on my list is, of course, Bean boots. I’m not going to lie, before coming to college I found these shoes to be pretty hideous, but they have definitely grown on me. Not only do I think they complete my leggings and UConn pullover look that I wear literally every day, but I think they are extremely practical. Whether you want to be or not, you’re going to be exposed to the elements in the fall and winter, and these shoes will get you through it all. They are super comfortable, warm, good for walking around in the rain and snow and have great traction. I recommend buying the pair with the fur inside to keep your feet extra toasty.

Jean Jackets

The perfect in-between jacket, jean jackets help keep you warm but are also a very cute addition to any outfit. You can keep it casual or dress it up, depending on whatever you’re in the mood for. They go perfectly with leggings and a t-shirt, a cute dress or honestly any clothing you want to wear them with. We all know 90s clothing has made a comeback, and a jean jacket can help you rock the 90s vibe.

Oversized Sweaters

There’s nothing cozier than an oversized sweater. It’ll keep you comfy and warm and also look very cute. Another clothing item that can be dressed up or down, sweaters are very versatile and can be worn however you want. You can use them to show off a cute bralette, wear them with jeans or leggings and add whichever accessories you please.

Flannels

Fall would not be fall without flannel shirts. Call me basic, but I think everyone should own a flannel and rock it in the cooler weather. They will never go out of style, and like most pieces on this list, they can be worn with whatever you want. What I like about flannels is they are a layer you can easily take off or put on depending on the temperature, or you can roll up the sleeves. We all know the weather can be all over the place this time of year, so if it’s going to be cold in the morning and warmer later on you can modify your flannel however you please.

Scarves

Scarves are not only an accessory, in the fall they become very practical. They keep you warm and can transform any outfit from boring to super cute. My personal favorite would have to be wrap scarves. I like that they are slightly oversized and that you can wrap them however you want.

Other Fall Essentials

Some other essential fall clothing includes leggings, jeans (ripped, plain, black, even olive green), cardigans, boots and crew-neck pullover sweatshirts. Personally, fall clothing is my favorite. I like how comfortable and cozy it is, and I enjoy wearing darker colors that are usually associated with fall fashion. Depending on your own style, you can dress up/down these pieces as much as you want, putting your own flare on some classics.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.