54 F
Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeNewsPassing of senior David Kurokawa

Passing of senior David Kurokawa

UConn senior David Kurokawa passed away recently. (Image via averypoint.uconn.edu)

University of Connecticut senior and veteran David Kurokawa, an English major who attended the Avery Point campus and lived in Groton, recently passed away.

Kurokawa achieved the rank of staff sargeant in the Army and deployed to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, according to an article from The Day.

Kurokawa managed the Veteran’s Center at the Avery Point campus alongside several other veterans, according to The Day.

“David was an active member of the Sailing Club, and well respected by his classmates. He had a delightful sense of humor and planned on a career as a teacher,” read a post in UConn’s Daily Digest.

A memorial will be held this Thursday at 2:30 p.m. in the Branford House at the Avery Point campus.

Condolences to the Kurokawa family can be sent to Avery Point’s Student Services Office, 1084 Shennecossett Rd, Groton, CT 06340.

Avery Point students needing support may visit Dr. Stephen Brewer in Academic Building room 114F. Students can stop in or call (860) 287-0962 to make an appointment.

Students can also visit the Office of Student Services in Branford House room 306. They can make an appointment by calling (860) 405-9024, or stop in during business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Students who are veterans can find support at the Norwich Veteran’s Center by calling (860) 887-1755.

Students who attend the Storrs campus can go to Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS), located on the fourth floor of the Jaime Homero Arjona Building, for support. Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students can walk in during office hours or call (860) 486-4705 to make an appointment.

Information on dealing with grief can be found on the CMHS website.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.