41 F
Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeNewsLittle Change, Big Impact: UConn's library website has been made more user...

Little Change, Big Impact: UConn’s library website has been made more user friendly

The University of Connecticut’s library website has been updated to be more accessible to students according to Jean Nelson, head of Communications & Engagement at UConn Library.

Homer Babbidge Library has updated its computer system in order to make student’s ease of use better. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The website’s new features make it easy to search for titles, open catalogues to mobile users, use dropdown menus with the ability to search through all of the UConn libraries and search by professor, class or subject, Nelson said. These new changes are starting this semester.

Nelson explained that this change was long coming.

“We are always reviewing our website and looking for ways to make it easier and more efficient for our users to find what they are looking for,” Nelson said. “This upgrade allowed us to open up our catalog to mobile users which was a significant consideration for the switch. We also liked the ability for students and faculty to search for items held on reserve.”

Nelson explained the exact changes and how they will help students.

“This summer we made some minor changes to the website. The most notable was the updates to our catalog searching,” Nelson said. “The service behind the search is called Primo, and the most visible upgrades to Primo included a mobile friendly design and the ability to search items that are found on course reserve.”

The idea for the update came from staff that focuses on the catalogue and its efficiency.  They were focused on allowing students to be able to access the website with their mobile phones, according to Nelson. With the increased number of students using their mobile phones to aid with their homework, easier mobile access to the website will immensely help.  

“We are always reviewing our website and looking for ways to make it easier and more efficient for our users to find what they are looking for,” Nelson said. “This upgrade allowed us to open up our catalog to mobile users which was a significant consideration for the switch.”

While students may not be able to instantly notice the subtle changes to the website, they will most likely be impressed with the speed and increased functions, Nelson said. The new changes will make the UConn library website an even better resource for students.  

“The website is constantly evolving so yes, there will be more projects in the future,” Nelson said. “Right now we are focused on upgrading the UConn Health Sciences Library website with our colleagues in Farmington. Since we don’t like to be disruptive with major upgrades during the semester, we will be working throughout the year on a plan for summer upgrades to be ready for fall.”

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.