HomeLifeMiley Cyrus’ 'Younger Now' is enjoyable but riddled with clichés

Miley Cyrus’ ‘Younger Now’ is enjoyable but riddled with clichés

Miley Cyrus performs at a private concert at Tootsie’s to celebrate the release of her album “Younger Now” on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, in Nashville, Tenn. (Laura Roberts/Invision/AP)

Miley Cyrus is one of the decade’s most popular stars. As a musician, child star and television personality, Cyrus has managed to make herself a household name. Cyrus’ latest endeavor was her sixth studio album, “Younger Now” which was released on September 29, 2017.

In the titular song for “Younger Now,” Cyrus sings “no one stays the same” and she definitely stayed true to this in her latest album. The sound of “Younger Now” is entirely different than most of Cyrus’ recent releases. There is still a strong pop vibe, but a lot of this is balanced out by a lot of (sometimes very subtle) country influences.

Out of all the songs on the album, “Rainbowland” is by far the most country. Cyrus’ sung this fun tune alongside her godmother, country music star Dolly Parton. “Rainbowland” is incredibly playful, and features a dialog between Cyrus and Parton. The message of “Rainbowland” is about creating a more accepting, loving and caring world.

The final song, “Inspired,” shares a similar message to “Rainbowland,” but with a far more subtle country undertones. The fiddle in this song, and many of the harmonies share similarities with many country songs. “Bad Mood” is another song on the album with county vibes. The song features a steady rhythm throughout the chorus and a musical arrangement that is reminiscent of more traditional country music.

Many of the songs on “Younger Now” are about love. The first debut single off the album, “Malibu,” tells the story of someone finding a happiness and self-acceptance in a relationship. “Miss You So Much” and “I Would Die For You” are also about love, and discuss the Cyrus’ unconditional love for her partner.    

The second to last song on the album, “She’s Not Him,” also talks about Cyrus’ love life, but instead is about lost love. The protagonist of the song cares deeply about her current relationship, but cannot seem to get over her ex. “I just can’t fall in love with you, ’cause you’re not him” sings Cyrus. The song packs an emotional punch while Cyrus’ delivery does a great job reinforcing the lyrics.  

“Week Without You” is definitely one of the highlights of “Younger Now.” This song tells the story of someone who imagines what life would be like if they weren’t in their relationship for a week. The song reveals that the relationship is incredibly unhealthy, and that Cyrus’ is far better off without their significant other. The song does a great job of juxtaposing scathing lyrics about her partner with what sounds like a 50s love song arrangement.

“Younger Now” definitely has a lot of positives. Miley Cyrus’ did a great job in changing up her sound by falling back on her country roots. The album has already produced several hits, like “Malibu” and “Younger Now.” With all this in mind, something that definitely detracted from this album was the shear amount of clichés. Most of the themes on this album bring nothing new to the table, and a lot of the lyrics are tired and overused. Although there may be songs that leave you feeling like they are unoriginal, this album is thoroughly enjoyable and fun.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.