The Homer Babbidge Library at the University of Connecticut was evacuated Tuesday night after a fire alarm went off in a third floor study room.
UConn Fire Department Captain Stan Landry said the alarm was automatically tripped at 5:46 p.m. and was reset by fire department personnel within minutes.
Landry said there was no obvious reason the alarm was triggered.
“It could have been anything,” Landry said. “Even something like a student opening a bag of popcorn—the steam could have set it off.”
Landry said it is unlikely the alarm malfunctioned because it was reset without issue.
Steven Kolakowski, a seventh-semester chemistry major, was working in the library when the alarm went off.
“The building cleared out pretty quickly,” Kolakowski said.
Students and library staff waited outside for a few minutes before they were allowed back into the building, Kolakowski said.
Landry said he did not know how many students were in the library at the time the alarm went off.
Fire alarms at the library are infrequent, Landry said.
“It doesn’t happen very often,” Landry said. “Maybe a few times per year.”
Charlie Smart is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at email@example.com.