HomeSportsWomen’s Basketball: Huskies land Class of 2018 No. 1 recruit

Women’s Basketball: Huskies land Class of 2018 No. 1 recruit

Christyn Williams, the nations No. 1 recruit, committed to UConn recently (Photo Courtesy USA Basketball)

For the third time in the last four years, head coach Geno Auriemma and the UConn women’s basketball team has landed the No. 1 recruit in the country.

On Friday afternoon, Christyn Williams committed to the Huskies after announcing a month ago that her decision had come down to UConn and South Carolina. Williams is UConn’s first recruit in the Class of 2018 after No. 2 prospect Charli Collier decommitted from the Huskies earlier this fall.

“I have goals that I want to accomplish,” Williams said in an interview with ESPNW. “And I feel like UConn is the perfect place for me to achieve those goals.”

Williams joins Megan Walker of the Class of 2017 and Katie Lou Samuelson of the Class of 2015 as recent No. 1 recruits to attend UConn.

In her junior year at Central Arkansas Christian in Little Rock, Arkansas, Williams averaged 26.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. She is a two-time defending Gatorade Player of the Year in Arkansas.

“I just want to be legendary,” Williams said, per ESPNW. “Winning National Championships and winning games are all fun, they’re great. But becoming a better woman and player at the same time is just phenomenal.”

Williams, a 5-foot-11 ambidextrous guard, has received comparisons to James Harden because of her dynamic scoring ability. As a three-time medalist with Team USA, Williams has teamed up with UConn point guard Crystal Dangerfield and looks forward to playing with her in Storrs.

The Huskies remain in the running for the No. 5 recruit in the Class of 2018, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who will announce her decision Wednesday.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.