Sunday, May 5, 2024
HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: UConn remains winless in the Hockey East Conference

Women’s Hockey: UConn remains winless in the Hockey East Conference

It was another winless weekend in Hockey East action for UConn (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn opened with a tie against Boston University on Friday, but dropped a nail-biter to Maine in overtime Sunday afternoon.

Freshman Natalie Snodgrass was the star for the Huskies over the weekend, after she scored three goals – two coming against Maine. She leads the team with seven goals this season.

The Huskies (4-4-3, 0-3-2) were looking for revenge against Boston University (2-6-2, 1-5-2) after they lost to them by a score of 6-2 on Oct. 22. However, they fell just short and tied them 2-2.

With the score tied at one, senior captain Justine Fredette stepped up big time and put the Huskies up with a power play goal in the third period. Unfortunately, BU’s Rebecca Leslie tied the score up with under a minute remaining in regulation.

Senior goalie Annie Belanger kept the team in the game with 43 saves, which was her second time this season saving over 40 shots.

Sunday against Maine (8-5-1, 3-2-1), the Huskies got off to a slow start, but they would fight back. They erased a two-goal deficit in the second period, thanks to a goal from Snodgrass. However, her clutch goal on the powerplay to tie the game at three in the third period was crucial for UConn.

Snodgrass was assisted by sophomore Briana Colangelo on her first goal, while Senior Leah Lum and Colangelo recorded the assists on her second goal.

Freshman Savannah Bouzide scored an unassisted goal to tie the game at two in the second period, for her first score of her Husky career. But it wasn’t enough in the 4-3 overtime defeat. Belanger did what she does best and saved 26 shots, while Maine’s goalie Carly Jackson swatted 22 shots.

Catherine Tufts, Vendula Pribylova and Tereza Vanisova scored the first three goals for the Black Bears before the overtime heroics.

In the Huskies fifth overtime game of the season, they came up short as Michelle Weis shot the winning goal through the net just 35 seconds into overtime. Weis was assisted by Brooke Stacey and Tereza Vanisova.

UConn will be back on the ice Friday and Saturday as they take on No. 2 Boston College. The game Friday will take place at Boston College at 6 p.m., while Saturday’s game will be at UConn at 3 p.m.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.