HomeNewsStudents can use myUConn app to place work orders

Students can use myUConn app to place work orders

“I filled out the work order request online about my room being too cold,” Foley said. “The very same day they came into my room to fix the problem while I was in class.” (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Work orders can be filled out for a variety of reasons, from a damaged tile to a broken heating system, according to Aris Ristau, the Director of Building Services at the University of Connecticut.

“Anything that makes a student uncomfortable (temperature, etc.), anything broken, or anything cosmetic (can warrant filling out a work order),” Ristau said in an email.

Ristau said he recommends students use the myUConn app to fill out a work order. To access the work order form, students should click on the maintenance or AiM icon and fill out the following prompts, Ristau said.

Facilities Operations and Building Services processes and completes work orders, according to Ristau.

“The first line of defense is Building Services,” Ristau said. “We consist of housekeepers and General Trades Workers (GTWs). Our GTWs will troubleshoot most issues in the residence halls and if it (is) not something we can repair, we will reach out to the trade shops for further assessment.”

According to Ristau, basic work orders, such as repairing broken ceiling panels or floor tiles, usually take around 24 to 48 hours to complete. The amount of time it takes to a complete an order also depends on the time of year, number of work orders and the request’s severity, Ristau said.

“We also prioritize work based on severity,” Ristau said. “For example, a ‘no heat’ call in the winter will be dispatched as an emergency and will be repaired ASAP. Active significant leaks are in the same category.”

Gillian Foley, a third-semester speech, language and hearing science and psychology double major, said the work order form was very easy to fill out.

“I filled out the work order request online about my room being too cold,” Foley said. “The very same day they came into my room to fix the problem while I was in class.”

Molly Desrochers is a Campus Correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.