Pattern of Wednesday nor’easters entirely coincidental, UConn professor says

0
0

Although snowstorms seem to be falling on Wednesdays this year, it is purely by coincidence. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Several inches of snow are expected today as the state of Connecticut braces for the fourth nor’easter to take aim at the state in just three weeks.  The timing of all these Wednesday storms is purely coincidental, said University of Connecticut School of Engineering assistant professor Dr. Marina Astitha, who studies extreme weather event prediction.  

“Why this happens so frequently, there is no explanation about that,” Astitha said. “We’re seeing a lot of people trying to connect this to climate change, but that is not clear.”

A nor’easter distinguishes itself from an ordinary storm simply by the way it travels, Astitha said.

“Nor’easters travel up the East Coast and affect the northeast with lots of wind, rain or snow,” Astitha said.

Astitha explained how high pressure systems from Canada combine with low pressure systems from the south, creating a nor’easter which takes aim at New England and the surrounding area.  This, however, does not relate to why nor’easters are happening at the rate they are this year.

Classes at UConn Stamford and Avery Point branch campuses have been cancelled for the day, and all afternoon classes for all other campuses have been called off, according to UConnAlert. 

For some students, these consistent storm cancellations are both a convenience and a stressor.

“My Wednesdays are very stressful days so it has been very nice to have the day to kind of catch up,” second-semester speech language pathology major Katherine Monroe said.  “But at the same time I have sign language on Wednesdays which only meets twice a week, so now I’m nervous we’re going to get really behind and going to cram.”

Other UConn students aren’t as concerned as Monroe.

“I love them,” second-semester pre-education major Sheila Higgins said.  “I have no problem with them, they can keep coming. It’s nice to have a break.”

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.