Lacrosse: Huskies return home for second conference matchup

0
3

The Huskies will take on Denver at 12 p.m. on Saturday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn lacrosse team will face No. 23 Denver on Saturday for their first home game in three weeks.

The Huskies (5-4, 1-0 Big East) are coming off of a triumphant 22-5 win over Butler on Sunday.

Senior attacker Grace Nolan scored eight goals and 11 points in the game against the Bulldogs which led to her being named the Big East Women’s Lacrosse Attacker of the Week. Nolan now sits all-time in points and assists in program history. She is also currently the best in the league in points and assists per game with 6.22 and 2.44 respectively.

The Huskies will be looking to improve their conference record to 2-0.

The last time the Huskies met Denver was last season when UConn lost 16-11 in Colorado.

This season, Denver (4-3, 0-1 Big East) is coming off a tough 10-9 loss to Temple.

An important player to watch on Denver’s squad is junior attacker Julia Feiss. Feiss scored a career-high eight goals and added an assist in the Pioneers 21-10 victory over the Niagara Purple Eagles earlier this season. Her eight goals tied a program record. Feiss also leads the team in goals with 20.

Another player to watch is sophomore goalkeeper Carson Greggs. Greggs was named the Big East Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week for two weeks in a row earlier this season. Greggs is third in the Big East in GAA with 10.50.

Denver is coached by Liza Kelly who is in her twelfth season with the Pioneers. Last season, she led the Pioneers to a 14-4 record in their first season in the Big East conference.

The Huskies will take on Denver at 12 p.m. on Saturday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.