Women’s Lacrosse: Tough loss to Denver

0
7

Denver took down the Huskies at home over the weekend (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

A tough second half led to a 13-5 UConn’s Women’s Lacrosse loss against Denver on Saturday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

It was a Big East matchup against a big time opponent, as the Pioneers came into the game ranked 23rd in the country.

The first half was a real competition. Denver opened the scoring but the Huskies reacted by scoring back-to-back goals with senior Grace Nolan and junior Caitlin Leary, taking their only lead of the game.  The Huskies ended the half only two goals behind at 6-4.

The second half opened with a 6-0 scoring run by Denver that didn’t end until a UConn goal with 9:08 left in the game. By that time, the Pioneers weren’t really in jeopardy of losing and tossed another goal on before the game ended to make it 13-5. Five goals is a season-low for the Huskies this year.

The loss Saturday drops the Huskies to 5-5 on the season and 1-1 in the Big East. Denver improved to 5-3 on the season and 1-1 in conference play, while also maintaining an unbeaten record all-time over UConn (3-0). Saturday’s game also marked the Pioneers’ first program trip to Storrs.

The Huskies next game comes this Saturday at noon when they travel to face Florida in another Big East matchup.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.