Baseball: Huskies back in the northeast for a matchup at Boston College

0
7

UConn and Boston College will face off Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. on Brighton field. (File/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies are coming off a series loss against USF but took down Shane McClanahan who had not surrendered a run in 30.2 innings this season. UConn will look to get back into the winning column in Brighton when they take on Boston College.

UConn (11-9, 1-2) was able to get the clutch hits Friday night, but faltered during the rest of the series. In their last two games, UConn left 10 runners on base with only four hits Sunday. They will need to find a way to frustrate the opposing pitcher early and often Tuesday.

Boston College (9-12) is coming off a 5-2 loss to Virginia Tech despite racking up 11 hits. Dante Baldelli, Jack Cunningham, Brian Dempsey and Jake Alu each had two hits.

Jake Palomaki has been the Eagles’ best hitter on the season, hitting .418/.491/.615 with two homers and 19 RBIs. Chris Galland and Dempsey are each hitting over .370 and 10 RBIs. This formidable offense has been able to score over five runs per game.

Isaac Feldstein continues to carry a big stick for the Huskies as he has knocked seven balls out of the park with 19 RBIs to lead the team. Thad Phillips has been hot lately, hitting .364 in 11 starts.

UConn’s ace Tim Cate got back on track over the weekend, throwing five innings allowing one run with 11 strikeouts.  Mason Feole worked around trouble in his start, surrendering three runs and five walks over five innings. Chase Gardner threw 5.2 scoreless innings in his start.

Boston College has a team ERA of 5.77, but their ace Jacob Stevens has been more than serviceable for the club. His 3.21 ERA and 39 strikeouts lead all starters. Sean Hughes has been effective over his 11 relief appearances, allowing only 1.59 earned runs per-game.

UConn and Boston College will face off Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. on Brighton field.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.