HomeSportsTalking Soccer: Top jerseys for Russia 2018

Talking Soccer: Top jerseys for Russia 2018

FILE – A Friday Dec. 1, 2017 file photo of the World Cup trophy placed on display during the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. Morocco has touted its limited threat from gun crime in a 2026 World Cup bidding proposal to take on the United States-led rival for the 2026 soccer showpiece. The North African nation highlights safety for visiting fans in bidding documents published by FIFA on Monday that do however show every stadium and training ground requires building work. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin, File)

79 days.

That is all that is left until the kickoff of the 2018 World Cup. 79 days until the eyes of the world turn to Russia for a month and a new World Cup champion will be crowned. This past weekend, we had some international games that tested the level and fitness of some teams.

We also saw the jersey debuts of most of the qualified national teams.

Adidas will dress 12 teams. Among them are reigning World Cup Champions Germany. Other teams donning the Adidas logo include Argentina, Mexico, Spain, Morocco, Japan and Belgium.

The jerseys designed by Adidas are based on the history of each national team and modern street style. Inspiration came from past jersey’s colors and designs.

10 teams will wear the Nike swoosh, four will wear Puma, two will wear New Balance and Umbro, Hummel, Errea and Uhlsport each have one team representing them.

Not all of the teams have released their complete uniforms for the competition, but I have ranked my favorite jerseys thus far:

9. Sweden’s Alternative Jersey: This jersey is pretty plain compared to the other designs, but the vibrant blue and the stripped pattern makes it pretty unique and appealing to the eye.

8. Belgium’s Home Jersey: Home jerseys are hard to play with, because you want to keep the essence of the team. Adidas’ experiment of creating functional (and lightweight) jerseys combined with fashion comes together nicely in the jerseys for Belgium. The Belgians, known as the Red Devils, keep their red with yellow diamonds in the chest. Simple, yet eye-catching.

7. Colombia’s Alternative Jersey: Colombia is one of the three teams in South America with similar color schemes—yellow and blue, like Brazil and Ecuador. This alternative jersey is colorful and features a never-before-seen neon orange color. There’s a pattern on one side of the jersey. The blue is gorgeous, and the jersey looks good on the pitch and on the streets.

Two different shades of blue and stripes that look like lightning bolts on the sleeves make it a bolder jersey than we are used to seeing for the 1998 World Cup Champions. (Photo via Footy Headlines)

6. France’s Home Jersey: This is the first Nike jersey I put in here, and it’s because I think Adidas did a better job creating the designs for their teams. However, Nike did well in keeping the elegance of the French National Team while adding something extra. Two different shades of blue and stripes that look like lightning bolts on the sleeves make it a bolder jersey than we are used to seeing for the 1998 World Cup Champions.

5. Senegal’s Home Jersey: The Lions of Senegal will have a white jersey with green borders. The jersey is completed by the design of a tribal lion stamped on the front of the shirt. It will barely be visible from long distance, but it’s pretty amazing up close.

4. Argentina’s Alternative Jersey: Argentina’s jersey has little variation. Their home jersey is always the albiceleste (white and light blue). Adidas always treats Messi’s team to nice designs, and their alternative is the best way to do so. Argentina will wear black with two stripes of light blue and a white one in the sides. Simple, but beautiful design. I can’t remember the last time Argentina wore black!

3. Nigeria’s Home Jersey: Nike was bold and fun in creating this jersey. More people nowadays are using soccer jerseys as casual wear, and Nigeria will be one of these jerseys being worn by rappers and singers. White, light green and black come together in different shapes and makes this jersey stand out. It’s a modern version of the jersey Nigeria wore in the 1994 World Cup, the first time the Super Eagles made it to the tournament.

Only two colors (black and white) make up the jersey for a sophisticated look as one of my favorites. (Photo via Footy Headlines)

2. Germany’s Home Jersey: Ever since I started watching the World Cup, Germany has always had really nice jerseys. 2018 is no different. Classy, modern and simple. This jersey is different from the 2014 World Cup. Only two colors (black and white) make up the jersey for a sophisticated look as one of my favorites.

1. Germany’s Alternative Jersey: The four-time World Cup champions have one of the sweetest jersey designs this World Cup. Germany has always had green jerseys in the past. This is a change from the red and black jersey they sported in the last tournament. This jersey is very similar to the one they wore throughout the end of the 80s and 90s.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.