Softball: Huskies lead early but fall to Hofstra 5-2

0
7

The Huskies take on Tulsa Friday afternoon under some light rain at Burrill Family Field in Storrs, CT.  The Huskies suffered a defeat with Tulsa winning 3-1. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

After leading early on, UConn softball dropped their Tuesday afternoon matchup with Hofstra by a score of 5-2.

Hofstra (18-7) got on the board first in this one when senior Brielle Pietrafesa scored on a single by fellow senior Sarah Edwards in the first inning.

The Huskies (13-20) came up fighting in the second as they put up their only two runs of the day. Senior Emma Stanley got things going when she reached on an error and advanced to second base to start the inning. Ryne Nakama followed with a walk then sophomore Carli Cutler drove both of them in with a double to right field.

There were opportunities for UConn to tack on runs after loading the bases in both the first and third innings but all six runners would be left on base. As a team, the Huskies would go 1-10 on the day with runners in scoring position.

The Pride would go on to score in the the third, fourth and sixth innings, which included a solo home run from senior Megan Patierno and a sacrifice bunt from Kristin Hallam that allowed Devyn Losco to come home. Hofstra finished with the same amount of hits as the Huskies but only left six base runners stranded.

UConn rallied in the top of the seventh inning with two outs after hits from both Olivia Sappington and Kiwi McDaniel. Representing the tying run, Devon Casazza struck out to end the game, leaving runners on first and second.

Although she took the loss, Jill Stockley (6-8) battled in her complete game effort against the Pride. The junior pitcher allowed five runs on the day, only three of which were earned and struck out three batters.

Hofstra’s Sarah Cornell (10-4) got the win for the Pride today. Cornell went four strong innings, allowing three hits and two runs with only one earned run. The sophomore also walked four and struckout five on 81 pitches.

UConn will look to bounce back later this week in their home opener against their newest conference foe, Wichita State, at 4 p.m. The Huskies are slated to also play games on both Friday and Saturday as well in the three game series.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.