Career conference to discuss post-grad skills

0
3

Golash said she hopes this year’s conference will reach more graduate students. (File/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut students graduating this year will have the opportunity to learn career and life skills from employers and alumni at the upcoming conference “Transitioning to Life After Graduation.”

“Our goal for this event is to provide graduating students information and general knowledge and provide awareness about what lies ahead,” according to the event website.

The conference, which is currently in its second year and is hosted by the Center for Career Development, will take place on Wednesday, April 11 in Rome Ballroom from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Students can go to career.uconn.edu/beyonduconn to register online.

The first 200 students will get a free t-shirt and there will be hors d’oeuvres and ice cream, according to the event flier.

Conference topics this year include figuring out what to do after graduation, personal budgeting and balancing life and work, according to the conference poster.

“The conference was designed to help students transition to life after college, and bridge the gap between what they already know with practical knowledge they can apply once they graduate,” graduate assistant and chair of the Beyond UConn committee Corinne Golas said.

One of the employers that will be in attendance this year is the conference’s sponsor Altria, Golash said. This is an American corporation that produces and markets tobacco, cigarettes and related products, according to their website (http://www.altria.com/Pages/default.aspx).

Golash said UConn alumni will also be present.

“We (have)… UConn alumni from various backgrounds, from business to publishing to political science,” Golash said.

There will be graduate students of various backgrounds speaking as well, which Golash said she feels will lend important, varying perspectives.

Golash said that after the conference last year, a survey was sent to the 90 students who had been in attendance and the feedback was positive. She said that based on the survey results, an additional session on topics such as work and balance was added.

Golash said she hopes this year’s conference will reach more graduate students.

“We’re hoping that students who attend the conference can leave feeling more prepared for their journey after UConn, whatever that may be,” Golash said.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.