Ray Allen to be inducted into Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame

0
3

Former NBA player Ray Allen, right, speaks as former WNBA player Tina Thompson, left, looks on during a news conference for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2018 announcement, Saturday, March 31, 2018, in San Antonio. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

It was announced Saturday that UConn legend and NBA sharpshooter Ray Allen will be enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Allen played three seasons of basketball for UConn from 1993 to 1996. That span included two All-America selections, three Big East regular-season titles and a Big East Tournament trophy along with three NCAA appearances.

Allen won USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year in 1995 before going on to be named first-team All-American and Big East Player of the Year in his final season in Storrs. Allen left UConn the third all-time scoring leader with 1,922 points and set a single-season school record with 115 three-pointers in his senior season. He was officially inducted into the “Huskies of Honor” in 2007.

Drafted fifth overall by Minnesota, Allen was immediately traded to Milwaukee where he would spend the first seven seasons of his career. After a four-year stint in Seattle, Ray Allen was traded to Boston in what would be the formation of Boston’s “Big Three” along with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. Allen would earn his first championship ring that season with the Celtics.

After his fifth season in Boston, Allen left to join the Miami Heat where he would play out the last two years of his career. His Miami days are best known for the shot in Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals in which Allen miraculously hit a three from the corner saving the Heat’s season.

Allen is widely considered one of the best three-point shooters to ever play. He currently owns the NBA record for most three-pointers made in a regular season career (2,973) and post-season career (385).

He retired a two-time NBA champion and 10-time NBA All-Star.

Joining Allen in Springfield are former NBA stars Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Maurice Cheeks. Other inductees include longtime college basketball coach Lefty Driesell and women’s basketball stars Katie Smith and Tina Thompson.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.