Baseball: UConn looks to keep hot streak going as they host Fairfield

0
0
exc-5ac2bb4e03ce6421fdae7c77

UConn and Hartford step back on the field for the double header on Friday Mar. 31. Pitcher Chase Gardner retired 14 batters in a row, leading to a Huskies victory, 1-0. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies’ starting pitching staff has not allowed an earned run in 35 innings. In their last game, Chase Gardner threw seven shutout innings with seven strikeouts in a 1-0 win against Hartford. The team will look to keep the streak alive as they battle Fairfield on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at J. O. Christian Field.

UConn head coach Jim Penders said Gardner had his breaking ball working and was able to get better as the game went along.

“(Gardner) had to be great today,” Penders said in an interview on the team’s Twitter page. “We weren’t doing a great job with the bats.”

As for the 35-shutout innings streak from his starters, Penders said the staff has the potential to be special.

“I don’t remember us having a streak like that before,” Penders said. “I’d love to see it continue on Tuesday.”

UConn (15-9, 1-2) mustered only one run on Saturday against Hartford, but in their previous three games, the Huskies scored 19 runs. Senior outfielder Isaac Feldstein now has a career-high in homeruns (8), while also leading his team in RBIs (21). Junior catcher Zac Susi leads the team in batting average (.330) and hit his first homer of the season Friday against CCSU.

Sophomore Mason Feole was named the American Pitcher of the Week for posting seven shutout innings with a career high in strikeouts (13) in their 6-1 win against CCSU.

Feole said his focus was to get ahead in the count.

“I felt like I struggled most of the year so far with getting ahead of batters,” Feole said in a post on the team’s Twitter page. “I talked with coach Mac (pitching coach) before the game and my mindset was to throw strike one in as many counts as possible.”

Fairfield (8-15) is coming off a double header split against Niagara. Dylan Reynolds hit his first homer, which provided the Stags with a walk-off win. Jack Gethings leads the team in batting average (.333) to go along with his 14 RBIs.

The Stags pitching staff has a total ERA of 5.29, but John Signore has been able to get it done for Fairfield. In 36.1 innings, he has 48 strikeouts and a 3.47 ERA.

The UConn campus was hit with a minimal amount of snow Monday, and rain is in the forecast for Tuesday. The Huskies will keep their fingers crossed to avoid another cancelled home game.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.